What is the lifespan of 3.5" seagate hard disk

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Yea it really just depends.

We can sit here and say X amount of time, but in reality the way products, specifically electronics are manufactured its always a roll of the dice.

You can however, if you have the drive already, is get a S.M.A.R.T reader. I know Speedfan has one, and what it does is tell you the integrity of your hard drive. And even gives you an analysis of your drive and how it should perform.

A lot of new hard drives have this technology. So if you have a drive and feel something is wrong that will let you know if there is.

ram1009

Distinguished
If you get past 3 years you're on borrowed time. It just doesn't make sense to push your luck. Give some thought to an SSD. They're more money but NO moving parts, they draw very little power, they don't get hot and you can even drop them.

I have a 15year old Seagate in an old rig,was pretty much on for 5 years! I had a new 1TB one fail within a month of purchase last year.
Looking at the expected hrs is only thing you can do, some will last longer some shorter depending on usage, constant reading and writing of large files will deteriorate the drive faster.

And they do have limited amount of write cycles!

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
I have an SSD and while I love it, there are some major, serious, ridiculous drawbacks.

If you have the money for it and a spare HDD, obviously its a good bet to buy an SSD for performance.

HDDs are still popular and still in the front for storage. When SSDs are $1 for 2-5GB. Maybe then people will jump on it a lot more. But for now they just aren't that good of a buy for what you are getting.

HDDs are still amazing performers and can last a long time. But as other posters have said they can also fail immediately or even come DOA. But that is the problem with any electronic. Hell OCZ is probably the biggest offender of having a hell of a product on paper but the worst output of real crap.

But back to the main topic. I have always used Seagate they have yet to fail me. I have a 1 TB that I have been using for 2 years and still no problems. And it has been on for I'd say a total of a year and a half or more. I rarely ever turn off my PC.

So in conclusion. If you are on the fence on what HDD to get, go with the Seagate they are good and reliable. Any big name HDD manufacturer should be fine though. Go on newegg and compare different manufacturers for the size HDD you are looking for.