Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

WoW FPS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 31, 2010 2:54:31 AM

I recently built my computer. It's a beast. I haven't touched the speeds or voltage yet cause I don't really need to. My comp is overkill for what I do. I play wow. I have:

i7 930 @ 2.93 (dunno why its this but thats what I'm getting from cpuid)
p6x58d premium mb
XFX ATI 5850 XXX edition
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (although its clocked at stock speeds right now (1100) I'm nervous to change em)
Corsair 750w psu
etc.
etc.

I've been playing a couple weeks now on my comp and I don't experience lag or anything and I'm using ultra settings. However, when I enter org I am getting 45 fps when looking at the epicenter of org. when I look away it goes back to 60.
My question is, with what I have should I expect to get 60 FPS ALL the time on maximum settings in wow?


Side note: When I disabled the vertical sync, my FPS shot up to 200 in some areas but still back down in org. Any input on this?

More about : wow fps

a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2010 3:00:39 AM

Dropping to 45 in only the worst case scenario isn't horrible, by a long shot. Wow is not well coded in the graphics department, and it doesn't produce visuals to match the load it can require, like most MMOs. There are certain times that lag can chop up the frame rate, but in those instances there is nothing your hardware can do about it.
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 31, 2010 3:02:56 AM

I've asked people online if they are getting 60 fps constantly in org and they tell me yes. Are they lying? I know that's a possibility. But they have told me they have less powerful components so I'm wondering if one of my settings is wrong with my video card or what. I don't think this is the case since I haven't touched anything since I got it. Everyhting is at stock speeds.
m
0
l
March 31, 2010 3:08:02 AM

Do you have shadows on to the max? I hear/read on some forum about how the shadows aren't optimized and really takes a hit on your frames. And also a lot of people recommended to leave it at 50 or 70% as it gives you about the same effect as 100%. I always ran with them off completely, I rather have full shadows instead of little circles under people.(And it did take a toll on m frames too)

Maybe it's just the Sheer number of players on screen to cause that dip in fps.
Mostly the cities in wow cause the most lag and spikes in fps. Everyone is doing something whether they are just standing around waiting for a raid or spamming spells. There's just too many players running around in l33t gear (lol) that's all shiny and colorful. By the way your system is Sick =)

Hey do you experience any dips in 25 man raids? There's so many spells and effects flying around at the same time.

I guess even Wow can make a system like yours flinch. Maybe it's just the way it's coded. I'm betting on what i've said earlier, just the amount of players on screen at the same time.\

And about people saying they're gettin 60fps. I'd say there's just isn't alot of people around at the time. Or they're actually running through a hallway in ORG and notice 'at the time' they're gettin 60fps. Or they may just have lowered settings
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2010 3:13:42 AM

Oh yeah, shadows are really broken, forgot to ask about that. I think the best setting is a couple + notches from none.
m
0
l
March 31, 2010 3:37:38 AM

dybid21 said:
Do you have shadows on to the max? I hear/read on some forum about how the shadows aren't optimized and really takes a hit on your frames. And also a lot of people recommended to leave it at 50 or 70% as it gives you about the same effect as 100%. I always ran with them off completely, I rather have full shadows instead of little circles under people.(And it did take a toll on m frames too)

Maybe it's just the Sheer number of players on screen to cause that dip in fps.
Mostly the cities in wow cause the most lag and spikes in fps. Everyone is doing something whether they are just standing around waiting for a raid or spamming spells. There's just too many players running around in l33t gear (lol) that's all shiny and colorful. By the way your system is Sick =)

Hey do you experience any dips in 25 man raids? There's so many spells and effects flying around at the same time.

I guess even Wow can make a system like yours flinch. Maybe it's just the way it's coded. I'm betting on what i've said earlier, just the amount of players on screen at the same time.\

And about people saying they're gettin 60fps. I'd say there's just isn't alot of people around at the time. Or they're actually running through a hallway in ORG and notice 'at the time' they're gettin 60fps. Or they may just have lowered settings


Um to answer your question about 25 man raids I don't know yet! I'm excited to see what the performance is like when I do big raids and pvp because I just started playin again after two years.

But..... I did turn down shadows a notch and my fps are up by 30 in org. I get around 65-70 now when I'm in the middle of it all. I hate having to turn down even one setting with the money I spent :(  I know it's nitpicky but shouldn't I be able to run it on ultra ultra settings with my video card?!?!? I know it's not the best but I've also heard wow is not insanely graphics intense. Anyway, that worked a lot so I appreciate you and JofaMang's input.

Quote:
By the way your system is Sick =)


Thanks buddy!
m
0
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 31, 2010 4:15:44 AM

the thing with any city in WoW, Dalaran being the worst, the more players in the city the worse your FPS is. The reason your drops is because you are looking at the bank and AH where everyone runs around like crazy, when you look away it goes up.

FYI, even though WoW has 5 shadow settings its really just 3. None (1), On (2-4), and Max (5). Max will push your video card since everything has a shadow in WoW but you will not see any difference between the 2-4 settings.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2010 4:37:19 AM

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (although its clocked at stock speeds right now (1100) I'm nervous to change em)

You should be able to change the memory speed in bios to the rated speeds if you are not overclocking there should be no worries.
m
0
l
March 31, 2010 5:50:25 AM

ahnilated said:
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (although its clocked at stock speeds right now (1100) I'm nervous to change em)

You should be able to change the memory speed in bios to the rated speeds if you are not overclocking there should be no worries.



oh wow. ok. Ill try it now thanks.
m
0
l
March 31, 2010 6:07:17 AM

Ok so I changed the frequency in BIOS to 1600 and it slowed down my processor to like 1.9 ghz which means I would need to increase voltages right? That's a little intense. Here's what I have without changing anything, any thoughts?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2010 6:41:14 AM

Depends alot on Resolution, also you can OC to around 4.0 and you wont have anymore issues. I play with i3 @ 4.2 and a 4870 and I never go under 60 in Dalaran, all other citys, 80+ Outside, over 200. All settings maxed on 720P resolution.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2010 6:51:05 AM

gangstap said:
Ok so I changed the frequency in BIOS to 1600 and it slowed down my processor to like 1.9 ghz which means I would need to increase voltages right? That's a little intense. Here's what I have without changing anything, any thoughts?
]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1111202.png


Is it 1.9 GHz at all time or just when idle. Because if it is only idle then your CPU is conserving energy by downclocking. If you get into a demanding application (game) you will see the CPU at default speed.
m
0
l
March 31, 2010 7:09:44 AM

hallowed_dragon said:
Is it 1.9 GHz at all time or just when idle. Because if it is only idle then your CPU is conserving energy by downclocking. If you get into a demanding application (game) you will see the CPU at default speed.


You're right it was only at idle. I'm dumb. BUT, can I simply go in and change the frequency in the BIOS to 1600 without touching anything else or is that not safe?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2010 7:11:24 AM

gangstap said:
You're right it was only at idle. I'm dumb. BUT, can I simply go in and change the frequency in the BIOS to 1600 without touching anything else or is that not safe?


You can go in BIOS and change the speed of the RAM to the rated speed without touching anything. Make sure that at 1600 MHz the RAM is running at the correct voltage for that speed.
m
0
l
March 31, 2010 7:19:30 AM

hallowed_dragon said:
You can go in BIOS and change the speed of the RAM to the rated speed without touching anything. Make sure that at 1600 MHz the RAM is running at the correct voltage for that speed.



Shouldn't it automatically adjust to that? Will this increase my temperatures on full loads dramatically?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2010 7:40:07 AM

gangstap said:
Shouldn't it automatically adjust to that? Will this increase my temperatures on full loads dramatically?


No.
m
0
l
March 31, 2010 9:10:26 AM

hallowed_dragon said:
No.


Well from what I understand my DDR3 RAM runs on 1.65 v @ 1600. When I go into BIOS it doesn't show me any numbers just auto so I don't know which crap to change so it just effects my RAM. I don't want to mess with my cpu voltage or anything.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2010 9:13:17 AM

gangstap said:
Well from what I understand my DDR3 RAM runs on 1.65 v @ 1600. When I go into BIOS it doesn't show me any numbers just auto so I don't know which crap to change so it just effects my RAM. I don't want to mess with my cpu voltage or anything.


On my motherboard if I press CTRL+F1 in the main screen I get alot more options in the other screens. And BTW CPU and RAM voltages are not tied together.
m
0
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
March 31, 2010 4:50:20 PM

JohnieReb said:
Whats ORG?



:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  LOL noob. :kaola: 
m
0
l
!