macnw

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
so is the 8400 GS 256MB good enough for just getting good system video response in Vista & Win 7; I don't play any games ??

Solution
It should do you fine. Give it a shot and if it feels laggy it could be your internet speed if you are streaming video instead of playing from your drive/hard drive.

What speed internet service do you have?
You will land around 3.0, give or take some incremental points. Do you play video such as movies or anything else that requires anything special?

If you are just concerned about the score and just check your email and basic stuff on your pc then it will work fine. I wouldn't be too concerned about the score alone...

macnw

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

just watch Hulu and rent some itunes movies occasionally. So for over all system speed with Vista/7 - as opposed to having motherboard video graphics - the 256 should do me ok?
And yah i just get a score of 3.3 with the card. (was thinking i'd get more) but if no performance hit... then i guess i'm set.
thanks guys...

macnw

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

Very fast cable... DVDs should also plat alright - yes... ? Haven't tried one yet...
How come the low 3.3 Vista graphics score?

Thats just the level of performance for your integrated graphics. Its nothing unusual. How do you think I knew what you would score? I get about the same.

I have an 8500GT in another system and its gets a surprising 4.6! I gave 19 bucks for it, used of course...

macnw

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
so no foreseeable need to upgrade v card unless i want to do games with a lot of 3D... and my card is not slowing down my system over all... yes?

It wont slow down your overall system performance, only the capability of gaming and some dvd/blu-ray playback. You will only need to upgrade if you have problems doing the tasks you do with your system.

Give it a try and see if it stutters during video playback. If not, then your good to go...