Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How can I make my Lan network faster??

Last response: in Networking
February 17, 2010 3:05:57 AM

So every now and then my friends and I get together and play some computer games over a LAN network. (a cheap hub from Bestbuy and a few LAN cables) Its usally some oldschool game like starcraft or C&C Generals Zero hour. However with more than two computers playing zero hour over a our lan network the game gets really laggy even though our computers are far superior to the system requirements of the game. Is there anything thats not super expensive that can be done to play games like this over a network without so much lag?? (Besides playing online)

Thanks.
February 17, 2010 3:17:41 AM

Get a switch, which provides each computer its own collision domain.
February 17, 2010 3:49:11 AM

how much faster will that be with several computers?
Related resources

Best solution

February 17, 2010 4:12:31 PM

depends. A hub should be fine under low usage. But the issue with hubs is that if two computer send at the same time, data collides, then they both wait a random amount of time and resend the same data again.

Most of the time, games use such little bandwidth that it doesn't matter, but ma'b something else is factoring into this and it's possible for collisions to just decimate your network performance.

so, how much faster....it depends on A LOT of factors.

I'm not even sure how you got a "hub". Switches have been the same price or cheaper than hubs since about year 2000. I don't even know if they make hubs any more. They're REALLY hard to find.
February 17, 2010 6:52:29 PM

Best answer selected by guggas.
April 15, 2010 9:28:28 AM

Check this out, pretty sweet!!

I thought it would be fun to see if anyone can beat my dl speeds, if you can post your speedtest results I am very curious.

FYI This is a home connection NOT a workplace:

My setup - Cable Modem - Motorola SB6120 / Router - D-Link DIR-655 / Network Card - Intel 1000 GT.

They just upgraded my cable service to DOCSIS 3.0 two weeks ago, so I bought the new motorola modem, the only one you can buy right now, and to my surprise my dl's went from 30-35 mbps to 85-89 mbps!! Also my uploads went from 2-3 mbps to 5-7 mbps.

Any feedback on the below would be appreciated as well -

Question:

1. I am looking for a good review site for network cards, anyone know of one (From what I have read Intel has the fastest, anyone have the 1000 MT or ma dual port?)

2. I have been trying to find sites to test my speed out on, I was able to hit 5.7 Megs a second from Nvidia, anyone know of faster sites I may be able to get closer to 8-9 megs a sec on?
June 17, 2010 2:42:42 PM

Xanth said:
Check this out, pretty sweet!!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/783032744.png

I thought it would be fun to see if anyone can beat my dl speeds, if you can post your speedtest results I am very curious.

FYI This is a home connection NOT a workplace:

My setup - Cable Modem - Motorola SB6120 / Router - D-Link DIR-655 / Network Card - Intel 1000 GT.

They just upgraded my cable service to DOCSIS 3.0 two weeks ago, so I bought the new motorola modem, the only one you can buy right now, and to my surprise my dl's went from 30-35 mbps to 85-89 mbps!! Also my uploads went from 2-3 mbps to 5-7 mbps.

Any feedback on the below would be appreciated as well -

Question:

1. I am looking for a good review site for network cards, anyone know of one (From what I have read Intel has the fastest, anyone have the 1000 MT or ma dual port?)

2. I have been trying to find sites to test my speed out on, I was able to hit 5.7 Megs a second from Nvidia, anyone know of faster sites I may be able to get closer to 8-9 megs a sec on?

Xanth, which internet provider are you using? I would imagine it is with Comcast. Also, are there any special settings you have on your router? I have the exact same modem and router, and I use the Netgear XAV101 powerline av ethernet connectors for other computers around the house, including my xbox 360. Using speedtest from my laptop (wireless), I only get about 25-30 mbps downloads and about 10 mbps uploads on Comcast's 50mbps extreme plan.

Thanks for any help.

Tom
!