Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

XFX Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB vs HD 4670 1GB

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 31, 2010 7:05:23 AM

Hello,
I was wondering if you guys could offer me some advice. Right now I own a XFX Geforce 8800 GTS 320mb and I was thinking of upgrading to a HD 4670 1gb. Is this a worth upgrade?

Thanks in advance!
March 31, 2010 7:17:53 AM

Thank You!
m
0
l
Related resources
March 31, 2010 5:13:35 PM

Right, no sense in buying a 4xxx series anymore. But honestly the 5670 won't have much of an improvement over the 8800 320 either. You should bump up to the 5750 which is around $100. Or, if you have a bigger budget, the 5770.
m
0
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
March 31, 2010 5:17:10 PM

I agree with hard, the 5750 or higher will be a upgrade but any thing less will be a downgrade in spite of higher shader performance. The 8800gts (G80) has major advantages over 46x0 and up till 5750 due to having 320bit bandwidth as well 20 rops.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 376 U Graphics card
March 31, 2010 8:29:08 PM

nforce4max said:
I agree with hard, the 5750 or higher will be a upgrade but any thing less will be a downgrade in spite of higher shader performance. The 8800gts (G80) has major advantages over 46x0 and up till 5750 due to having 320bit bandwidth as well 20 rops.

This is not true at all. The card is a bit weaker than the HD4670 from all the rankings I can find and the benchmarks I've seen back that up. The HD5670 should be a 25-30% increase in performance which certainly is a worthy upgrade with the bonus of DX11 and it uses about half as much power, even less at idle.
Share
a c 172 U Graphics card
April 1, 2010 2:20:56 AM

jyjjy said:
This is not true at all. The card is a bit weaker than the HD4670 from all the rankings I can find and the benchmarks I've seen back that up. The HD5670 should be a 25-30% increase in performance which certainly is a worthy upgrade with the bonus of DX11 and it uses about half as much power, even less at idle.


As I have said the only main advantage these cards have over the old G80 is shader while the rest is in favor of the GTS except when equipped with GDD5 I know what I am talking about I am a collector. Used and owned vintage cards going back to the early 90s and even before that when ISA was used for every thing till VLB and later PCI came out.
m
0
l
April 1, 2010 3:35:04 AM

Hey thanks guys for a quick response,

My wife kinda surprised me with the card today so I said what the heck and checked it out so I can compare performance against my 8800 GTS. Turns out that even though its supposed to be a bnit of a downgrade, is performing better. With my 8800 GTS Crysis would set the optimal performance at medium, and if I turn a few of them I would noticed a significant drop in frames. With the 4670, the optimal setting was by default in high and it plays really well too, so I guess i'm a keep it!

Thanks so much.
m
0
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
April 1, 2010 12:40:06 PM

You can max most settings out except for shaders and resolution so what resolution that you and your wife normally play at?
m
0
l
April 1, 2010 3:56:39 PM

1920x1080. I use a 46" 1080p lcd as my monitor.
m
0
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
April 1, 2010 11:41:06 PM

DaMist said:
1920x1080. I use a 46" 1080p lcd as my monitor.



Ooohh *** why didn't you say that before. The best I would expect would be mostly low settings in order to be fully playable in most games at that ress. :??: 
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
April 2, 2010 12:03:20 AM

Yeah, you really want an HD5770 for that resolution.
m
0
l
April 9, 2010 2:27:42 AM

Best answer selected by DaMist.
m
0
l
!