$500 budget for gaming built!

avengedsoul

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
which processor should i go?
AMD or Intel?.

i like to focus more on GPU.

please suggest some game built within $5oo range.
thanks.

avengedsoul

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2 more weeks

BUDGET RANGE: $450 - $650

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: i dont know

PARTS PREFERENCES: anything

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe(future)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: now 1440x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like a quiet PC and mid-end perfomance/quality in gaming

cmcghee358

Distinguished

Unless you provide us a Malaysian website you intend to buy from, we have no idea how much costs of components will be or which websites to build from because of shipping limitations.

Figure out who you will buy from please.

Nice, although with a Coolermaster case, anticipate minor quality problems like untapped screw holes, loose tool-free mounts, and/or alignment problems. Most will be fixable (or use screws if the mounts suck), but I've found that cheap Rosewill cases have none of these issues. The rest looks good though.

avengedsoul

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
all price are from my country price and convert to USD.

AMD PHENOM II X4 945 Quad Core 3.0Ghz / 2MB + 6MB cache AM3 = USD160
or
AMD PHENOM II X4 925 Quad Core 2.9Ghz / 2MB + 6MB cache AM3 = USD150

ASUS EAH5770 ATI RADEON HD 5770 128bit 1GB DDR5 - CuCore 610 = USD190

KINGSTON 2GB DDR3 (1333MHz) = USD57

GIGABYTE MA790XT-USB3 AMD 790FX+SB750/DDR3/CrsFire/SATAIII/USB3.0 - AM3
= USD150

500GB Western Digital 16M = USD46

COOLER MASTER Extreme Power Plus 500watts = USD47

COOLER MASTER USP 100 Mid Tower Gamer Case = USD49

ALL USD699

- 30% PROCESSOR USD48
- 30% GPU USD57

all become USD594 = RM1900..

actually my budget is RM1500..

Good deal!
Right now, AMD doesn't really have anything quite as good as i5, especially when overclocked. Fortunately, repeated tests have shown that the GPU is far more important to a gaming rig. With your budget, AMD is the only way to go, otherwise you'd have no money left after CPU & mobo to get a half-decent GPU.

I was referring to the 30% off AMD pricing, not your last post.
You definitely do NOT want that fecal Coolermaster PSU. As Batuchka said, you want to find one that has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and 80+ certification.
It's not so much about being "green," it's about getting a PSU that was actually proven to be capable of outputting its full labeled rating; even though ambient temperature is unrealistically cool, the PSU is run for at least half an hour, so it is definitely able to get warm. A cheap Chokemax PSU would blow chunks under even an easy test like that.

At your resolution, you can safely drop down to a HD5750 or even a HD5670 if it helps you make your budget. You can always upgrade later. An Athlon II X3 like Batuchka listed will be a lot cheaper than a Phenom II, and for games won't make a howling difference. You're paying a lot for a high-end mobo too.

avengedsoul

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
i got my old built.

Intel Pentium 4 (2.8Ghz) 2 Core with Hyper Thread

MSI N9500GT MDIG-OC/D2 128-BIT 1GB DDR2

ASUS P5QPL-AM MOBO

KINGSTON 3GB (2+1) DDR2 800Mhz

80GB SATA HDD

COOLER MASTER Extreme Power Plus 460watts

POWER LOGIC FUTURA 220

just upgrade the mobo,gpu,psu,2gb ram about 4 month ago.

so, this is my mistake. i should make new built instead of upgrading this CPU. sigh~

If you upgrade the GPU and PSU, you may find there's still life in that one.
Other things to do would be to replace your 1GB RAM stick with a 2GB stick exactly like the one you have, so you can run in dual-channel mode. A single 2GB stick shouldn't be too bad yet.
You wouldn't be able to use the RAM in a new build, but you'd be able to move the GPU and PSU later, so that money wouldn't be wasted. Although you could also get a better CPU for your socket, that would be money down the crapper, so I wouldn't do it. Socket 775 is at end-of-life.

If you can afford it, the last one would be very good, with the HD5850, although that may be a little overkill for your current resolution. Find a PSU that has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and 80+ certification. Antec, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, and Enermax are among the better brands. The older Coolermaster PSUs (with the voltage switch) definitely are not. Five hundred watts would be a good size.

Edit: Between your last two GPU choices (GTS260 or HD5770) I would choose the HD5770. You might get that nice discount, you'll have DX11, and you'll use less power.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
You're saying GTS260 again. But since you have more specs, I assume its the 260 GTX?

Reference the Gfx Card Heirarchy chart here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-geforce-gtx-480,2598-6.html

That will help you understand kind of a loosely based tier of awesomeness.

Once again 448 bit @ 216 Stream Processors

Vs. 128 Bit @ 800 Stream Processors

The 5770 still wins out. It also has directX 11.

The answer to your question si the 5770