E6400 bottlenecking Radeon HD 5670? and will it work on a 300watt psu?

I have two questions that you could answer and clarify for me please:
Firstly would a Radeon 5670 1gb be bottlenecked by a core 2 duo E6400 2.2ghz ( might try to software overclock) mobo wont me change fsb
and secondly would a 5670 work on a 300 watt psu?
And lastly infact how noticable would would the change be from a Radeon HD 4650 to a Radeon HD 5670.
Will buy it today if these questions are answerd for me
Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about e6400 bottlenecking radeon 5670 work 300watt
  1. Quote:
    Firstly would a Radeon 5670 1gb be bottlenecked by a core 2 duo E6400 2.2ghz ( might try to software overclock) mobo wont me change fsb
    It depends on what resolution are you gaming at. The lower the resolution the greater the bottleneck.
    Quote:
    and secondly would a 5670 work on a 300 watt psu
    Depends on the PSU. If the PSU is of a good brand it will suffice, but a good 400W PSU will be more concern free.
    Quote:
    And lastly infact how noticable would would the change be from a Radeon HD 4650 to a Radeon HD 5670.

The 4650 is 10-20% slower than the 4670 so you can make a comparison by using this review:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_5670_IceQ/28.html
  2. What about the other specs?
    Ram, monitor?
    Also how much do u want to spend on this new card?
  3. Get it to at least 2.6ghz, but otherwise, you'll be fine. The card doesn't use much power at all comparatively.
  4. wa1 said:
    What about the other specs?
    Ram, monitor?
    Also how much do u want to spend on this new card?

Erm I would be gaming at 1440 by 900 and I have 3.5 of DDR2 ram, I play games like assassins creed, COD's and far cry 2 etc and play on medium/high settings atm with decent frame rates
    Thanks
  5. hallowed_dragon said:
    Quote:
    It depends on what resolution are you gaming at. The lower the resolution the greater the bottleneck.
    Quote:
    and secondly would a 5670 work on a 300 watt psu
    Depends on the PSU. If the PSU is of a good brand it will suffice, but a good 400W PSU will be more concern free.
    Quote:

The 4650 is 10-20% slower than the 4670 so you can make a comparison by using this review:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_5670_IceQ/28.html

Its just a generic PSU that came with the computer, 300watts
  6. IF it has more than (or equal to) 16A on the 12-volt rail you're fine.
  7. Generics are usually sh^t plane and simple except for some OEM units from Dell and HP. I would replace the psu if you are using a card that requires supplemental power like a 9800gt or a 5770 as an example. In your case it has to be a high quality unit to be safe but if it is a junk generic then I would expect issues to show up down the road.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Bottleneck HD Radeon Graphics