First Time Build for 1500: Suggestions Please

sugarcoatedsour

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I'm looking for an i7 930 build, a motherboard with 2 pci 16x/16x, 6gb ddr3 ram, the usual works. I live in Canada eh, and my budget is around 1500 (preferably after taxes and shipping) but I'm willing to stretch a little bit for more reliable parts.

I plan to game, watch and listen, as well as running DAW's such as Reason, Abletons, Pro Tools (possibly). I also want to run the comp through my plasmaHDTV.

sugarcoatedsour

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
so I guess, less internal mechanics and less propagation delay. What does that spell out in terms of practical use?

also the intel one is quite expensive, I wonder what the runner-ups are and if they're any good.

SSD is indeed very fast ...a lot faster (reading, writting, etc.) than any normal 7200 rpm or 10k rpm HDD.
And it consumes much less power than it's mechanical brothers.

The only problem with SSDs is the price.
The price of all SSD is still very high, but it is really worth investing.
I say all...the ones you called runner ups are also very expensive and are not too different in price..

Top 2 on my mobo shopping list for mid-high end build :
(alphabetically ordered)
ASUS
Gigabyte

If you don't like the Gigabyte...simply move to ASUS...and vice versa...
I see no problem in this matter.
Both of them are the best mobo manufacturers according to my experience.

sugarcoatedsour

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
ya, I just took a look through, intel is the best bet price-wise so far.

I guess at best I expect to leave myself open for upgrades, but am not too insistent to jump on the band wagon. Thanks for bringing that ssd to my attention though, I'm sure that would give good performance for DAW applications.

For graphics cards, I kind of feel like picking up a strong single gpu, and leave myself open for crossfire/sli when prices drop down a bit.

OK... it is simple, just drop one of the HD5850.
You can also add the SSD anytime you like after the build, you don't have to get it right away.

If you see my signature :
I just bought HD5850, Intel's 80GB SSD, and the 750W PSU about 3 weeks ago.
My old 3,5 years old configuration used HD3850, no SSD, and 450W PSU (only 1 PCie power connector)
But the biggest difference I can feel comes from the SSD.

sugarcoatedsour

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
you think I could make do with a mid-tower atx? would there be enough room and decent ventilation while using a 1366 board? I'll look over the hd5850, maybe I can afford to grab 2.

Another question although an odd one. Since I live in Canada, if I order from newegg would I have to pay a border fee, cause in any case that would be a pretty hefty fee.

PC Case? The one I recommended Coolermaster CM690? It is big enough and have a good air circulation, no problem about that. You might need to buy a few extra fans for that (only 3 are bundled and you can still add 3 more)

About the new egg...I can't answer that... I only know newegg doesn't ship to my country in europe or to my homeland in asia.

sugarcoatedsour

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I'm just recalling an experience where I had ordered a radeon 9700 (years ago) from ebay, I think it was delivered by ups. When I had got it delivered I was expected to pay near 1/3 of the total price of the card in border fees.

About the case: I've got the rosewill destroyer black mid-atx. Would this be large enough?

tserich

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Atx cases will fit an atx board.
However, different mid size ATX cases don't always fit every GPU card. You should probably measure how much space you have between the back of your case to your HDD cage to see if you have room. I believe the HD 5870 is 11" though you should always check the specifications depending on the brand you get.