Deciding on AMD or Intel

I am building a mid priced gaming rig. I am deciding whether to go with AMD or Intel.

I would say 80 percent of the time, the main purpose of computing would be for games.

I believe I may save some money by going with a AMD cpu and motherboard, but is it worth shelling a few extra hundred dollars to get a Intel platform?
6 answers Last reply
More about deciding intel
  1. If you main purpose is gaming the Athlon II X3 425 (cheaper) or Athlon II X3 440/445 will be all you really need for a single graphics card.
    However with higher-end cards like the 5850 and higher a better CPU can make a difference (especially with CF/SLI), and a Phenom II 955 would be plenty (the lower-clocked ones are fine too).
  2. Personally I say budget is something you need to figure out before AMD/Intel. I find in the low-mid end AMD offers better price/performance for many tasks, but in the higher end Intel holds the performance crown. Right now the Phenom II 945 is probably the single best gaming processor below $150, but the I3 isn't far behind it from Intel.
  3. gabrielleung said:
    I am building a mid priced gaming rig. I am deciding whether to go with AMD or Intel.

I would say 80 percent of the time, the main purpose of computing would be for games.

I believe I may save some money by going with a AMD cpu and motherboard, but is it worth shelling a few extra hundred dollars to get a Intel platform?

As it has been pointed out, why don't you post it in the proper section, where you'll get much better answers ...
  4. So where should I post? And by the way, a friend of mine has already given me a Radeon 5870. I plan to spend roughly 1000-1200 on the rest of my components.
  5. Hello gabrielleung;

They are recommending you ask for new system build advice in the Home Build Systems forum
    There is a Sticky Topic at the top "READ BEFORE POSTING: Buyer's Guides and Troubleshooting"
    and it has a "How To Ask For New Build Advice" that leads you through setting up a request for assistance.
    You can ask the same questions there, just in the context of an over all system build, keeping your budget goal and what you want in mind.
  6. It really depends on your CPU budget. I5 -750 if you have $200 for a CPU. Anything less go with AMD.

Stay away from the 1366, like you said, they are spendy. IMO not really worth the premium. 1156 is usually a much better choice for gamers on the intel side.

If i5-750 and mobo run you over budget go for AM3 + 955 or less.

However, any CPU from Athlon II x3 (especially with a little OC) and up will likely not bottleneck a single 5870, something to keep in mind.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel AMD