Sign in with
Your question

Deciding on AMD or Intel

Last response: in CPUs
July 4, 2010 5:36:03 AM

I am building a mid priced gaming rig. I am deciding whether to go with AMD or Intel.

I would say 80 percent of the time, the main purpose of computing would be for games.

I believe I may save some money by going with a AMD cpu and motherboard, but is it worth shelling a few extra hundred dollars to get a Intel platform?

More about : deciding amd intel

July 4, 2010 5:51:44 AM

If you main purpose is gaming the Athlon II X3 425 (cheaper) or Athlon II X3 440/445 will be all you really need for a single graphics card.
However with higher-end cards like the 5850 and higher a better CPU can make a difference (especially with CF/SLI), and a Phenom II 955 would be plenty (the lower-clocked ones are fine too).
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 4, 2010 6:18:03 AM

Personally I say budget is something you need to figure out before AMD/Intel. I find in the low-mid end AMD offers better price/performance for many tasks, but in the higher end Intel holds the performance crown. Right now the Phenom II 945 is probably the single best gaming processor below $150, but the I3 isn't far behind it from Intel.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2010 4:37:58 PM

gabrielleung said:
I am building a mid priced gaming rig. I am deciding whether to go with AMD or Intel.

I would say 80 percent of the time, the main purpose of computing would be for games.

I believe I may save some money by going with a AMD cpu and motherboard, but is it worth shelling a few extra hundred dollars to get a Intel platform?

As it has been pointed out, why don't you post it in the proper section, where you'll get much better answers ...
m
l
July 5, 2010 8:25:08 AM

So where should I post? And by the way, a friend of mine has already given me a Radeon 5870. I plan to spend roughly 1000-1200 on the rest of my components.
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
July 5, 2010 8:38:14 AM

Hello gabrielleung;

They are recommending you ask for new system build advice in the Home Build Systems forum
There is a Sticky Topic at the top "READ BEFORE POSTING: Buyer's Guides and Troubleshooting"
and it has a "How To Ask For New Build Advice" that leads you through setting up a request for assistance.
You can ask the same questions there, just in the context of an over all system build, keeping your budget goal and what you want in mind.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2010 6:10:05 PM

It really depends on your CPU budget. I5 -750 if you have $200 for a CPU. Anything less go with AMD.

Stay away from the 1366, like you said, they are spendy. IMO not really worth the premium. 1156 is usually a much better choice for gamers on the intel side.

If i5-750 and mobo run you over budget go for AM3 + 955 or less.

However, any CPU from Athlon II x3 (especially with a little OC) and up will likely not bottleneck a single 5870, something to keep in mind.
m
l
!