Fan at back of computer sparked

mc dc4

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
hi i have a brand new computer it has been going great but all of a sodden i herd a strange noise i wasn't sure Wat it was so i looked around the back at the fan then their was a little orange switch i flicked it then the CPU turned off and sparks came out the fan and now the computer wont turn on

all i wont to know is Wat's blown and how much it would ruffly cost

thank you

Does the switch have 110v or 230v on show?
You've most likely swapped your psu's voltage whilst its running, not good :(

best case, you've blown the psu,
worst case you've also fried your mobo and processor,
cost is dependant on what you've killed and what specs they are, I'd say play dumb, put the switch back and phone your support line saying 'my compilooter no worky' Hope they repair/replace for free.
P.S. Electrical switches arent toys :) ( Sorry, cant miss a hitch-hikers quote opportunity) :p
Moto

yep thats what I was aiming for, dunno what the odd noise could have been though. switches and buttons are soo tempting, even if there is no way that they could have caused the noise and would therefore fix it.

The original strange noise may have been something as simple as a fan catching, what kind of noise was it (if you can translate it into text hehe)
Do you have access to another psu at all?
if you do, try hooking that up and see if you can get going, if you cant you've likely killed something more important.
Moto

Like others have stated, you probably switched from 110VAC to 220VAC and fried something.

If you are prone to "finger-poking", I suggest you wear mittens when examining your computer. Seriously, switches are not intended for casual altering. Same applies to icons too.

Changing the psu voltage switch during ur pc is running is the worst thing u can do to ur pc.Hope it is ur psu which is fried not the mobo

its bad yeah, but not THE worst thing he could do, i mean how about setting a pc up on a catapult, then hooking the release catch onto a timer? :p
Cmon guys n gals, lets have some more worstcase scenario's :p
might not help, but it'll give the Op something to ;laugh about...
Moto

We need low cost approaches, like running it over with a truck! (too large to fit inside a microwave)

daship

Distinguished
Since the PSU had the switch its probably a generic piece of crap with no short cuircut protection, you could have fried the PSU, CPU, Motherboard, Ram, DVD drive, and Hard drive, and even ruined some cables.

The only thing you can do is get a new power supply and try it, then start replacing everything a piece at a time.

Odds are it wont be cheap. New computer time would be my quess.