Mobile Graphics Card

gbubrodieman

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I have an Alienware M17x, I bought in October. They are replacing the laptop due to several issues. Right now I have dual 1GB nVidia GTX260m SLI. In the replacement order, they have Dual 1GB ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4870 in CrossfireX. Am I getting screwed?

gbubrodieman

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I saw that site also, and a list. Some numbers were higher and some lower, but it was ranked one higher total. Also I have a quad core 2.0ghz, they are giving me an i7 2.66ghz. That's a nice upgrade too :)

Thanks for your help!

gbubrodieman

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
So I just saw that its not the 720 its Intel Core i7 620M 2.66 GHz (3.33GHz Turbo Mode, 4MB Cache)

I saw that only has two cores. Am I losing power?

Right now I have this Q9000, 2.0, 6MB, Core Penryn, E0

karen0958

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

MAZIAR

YOU SEEM SO KNOWLEDGEABLE I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME. YOU ANSWERED A QUESTION:

I have an Alienware M17x, I bought in October. They are replacing the laptop due to several issues. Right now I have dual 1GB nVidia GTX260m SLI. In the replacement order, they have Dual 1GB ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4870 in CrossfireX. Am I getting screwed?

FROM GBUBRODIEMAN AND YOU SAID IT WAS A GOOD DEAL.

I JUST ORDERED AN ALIENWARE 17" LAPTOP WITH A Dual 1GB ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4870 in CrossfireX VIDEO CARD AND AN i7 PROCESSOR. I WAS TOLD THAT IT WOULD SUPPORT 3D (THEY HAVE A 3D ALIENWARE MONITOR. BUT NOW THEY ARE SAYING THAT IT WILL ONLY WORK WITH THEIR NVidia VIDEO CARD THAT IS AVAILABLE IN THEIR DESKTOP. WHAT DO YOU THINK. IS THERE ANYWAY MY CONFIGURATION WILL WORK WITH THE 3D MONITOR. I AM DESPERATE FOR HELP. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME.

THANK YOU SO MUCH MAZIAR.

karen0958

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Do you see that changing in the future since it seems 3D is going to (according to what you read and hear) be the next big thing. I mean I can't see that Nvidia could have a monopoly on this new technology - Dell is not the company it used to be. Sony and Asus are both offering both the Nvidia and i7 in a laptop and supports 3D why can't Dell. Of course I don't expect you to have answers to the last question but what do you think will happen going forward - I mean as far as other video cards supporting 3D - have you come across anything that would make you have an opinion on support by other video cards, especially the one I am getting? I am going to give AMD a call but was wondering what you thought.

Again, thanks for your ideas.