Fermi so late? does ATI keep the crown this time?

pnico

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
hi guys,

isnt fermi supposed to have been out by now. This situation could only have helped ATI gain market share..
are there any official benchmarks comparing the top high end cards from both?

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

Are you for real? Did you even bother to read the BIG STICKY?

GTX480 / GTX470 Reviews and Discussion

Fermi is not available until april 12'th.

Believe me, there are people who have been disappointed by the benchmarks. Imagine waiting 6 months for a card to see it only run with 1.7x the power, lots more heat, 1.2x the price, etc.

However, all things will be good later. ATI price cuts with an ATI refresh with an nVidian lower-series release.

^
I'm disappointed, too... :)

For me, the "new" card should "much" better than the old card.
I expected more than just 10-15% increased performance from ATI's 58xx series...

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Pretty much Fermi is just too little too late. I mean- release it at the same time and maybe people would have been happy, but release it 6 months later and only win by a small percentage in performance and lose BIG in power and heat and some in price as well.

Problem is that you will never get a driver that plays great with all games, they optimise the drivers for the main games at the time.
In general i think there is plenty to come and if they latch on to a specific game and optimise for that then i dont think double figure % improvements are out of the question.

Mactronix

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
ATI has won 2010, they'd won it as soon as midnight Jan 1st hit the world. Nvidia can only hope to get a refresh of Fermi on a smaller fab process by 2011 to begin to gain ground on ATI factoring in ATI's pretty much guaranteed refresh.