New Acer Desktop Graphics Upgrade

Sheeblasta

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I have just recently purchased a new desktop more specifically the,

Acer Aspire AX3300-U1322 Athlon II X4 620(2.6GHz) 4GB DDR3 1TB NVIDIA GeForce 9200 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Heres the link from Newegg where I bought it.

Heres the catch, 220w psu

I was aware that it did not come with a graphics card but I figured If I had to i'd upgrade the PSU and buy a cheap graphics card as well.
What I want to know is would it even be worth it to upgrade if its being used for photo/movie viewing/editing & very moderate if any gaming would significantly improve quality as well as performance at the lowest price possible. I am also concerned about the one and only fan is enough or making the hardware a ticking timebomb.

Someone that also purchased this computer off newegg left this review,

Well, the "other thoughts" part says it all... Since it's a low profile case, you won't put a "heater" card in it. You're very limited in options, but that doesn't mean they're bad options.

Look for a nice Ati 5670 or a nVidia 9600GT/9800GT-ECO according to your needs. Ati has DX11 and eyefinity (3 monitors), but you won't be using high quality over Full HD resolution (1920x1080) or HD (1280x720) while gaming, but might be useful for a lot of displays at the same time.

And with most low profile cards, you don't need extra power. At least, I don't know any that needs extra power.

Cheers!

Sheeblasta

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I don't need one that supports dx11 or eyefinity, mainly photoshop / watching movies on my http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889160016.. any other suggestions anyone?

Unless you want it for playing games then there's no reason to buy a graphics card.

The onboard graphics does what you need it to. Very few non-gaming programs have any processing done on the graphics card.

My advice is to leave things as they are. if you are going to buy a card it should be for playing games and for that I'd get one of the ATI 5xxx cards that costs $150-$200.

Again, unless you want to play games there's little point to an upgrade.

The dedicated card handles HD much better than the onboard. Another thing it does is it frees up his system memory.