New PC wont boot dut to old hard drive?

jamie6747

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
i have a core i7 system with a ssd for the OS and i added a old hard drive. to the computer for more space but it would not work. the computer would not start so i removed it but not the computer without the old hdd wont turn on. it just starts for about 2 seconds then turns off, shuts down

here is the mobo
asus p8z68-vlx
see the image of the old drive below

what can i do?

Not enough info. How about the make/model of drive and if it's sata or ide. Were you trying to boot off of it with a previous OS install? Anyhow, I'd try resetting the bios. Check your motherboard manual on how to do it or just pull the motherboard battery for a few minutes then put it back in.

jamie6747

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

i was not trying to boot from it, i have a ssd with the os on it and i just put a old hard drive in to see if it would work
this is it
7160036549_5018597bbe_c.jpg

This seems to be common with SSD's and some older drives. I don't have a SSD, so not sure of the solution, but if you search other threads (plenty of them), you may find the solution. Sorry I couldn't be of more help on this one.

Have you tried using different sata ports? Also, make sure all sata ports are enabled in the bios.