Sign in with
Your question

My first rig

Last response: in Systems
April 26, 2010 6:32:34 PM

So, after having a thread running on com.puter.tv for a couple of days now, i think i have found my suitable rig. I'm aiming for a decent gamer, that will last a couple of years, and i have as much as 700-800 dollars to spend on it ( technically i have a thousand, but i live in denmark and even the interwebs wont bring the price to us standards ). So, basically im not going to change this build unless its critical ( meaning a part will not fit the rest of the system. In terms of even booting up ).

So i need your help to tell me whether all this stuff is compatible with everything else. Here goes the list.

I already own:

PSU: Xilence 600W - Plenty of molexes, two 6 pin graphics card power plugs, standard 24 pin power connecter, and a choice between a 4 pin or 8 pin CPU connector.
GFX: Nvidia Club3D 9800 GTX (1) - You know the drill. Requires two 6 pins, and works in a PCIex x16 2.0 and 1 (point something)

I'm planning to buy:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 - 2.8 GHz L2 Cache i believe. Good enough.
MOBO: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO - A good chipset 2600 mhz FSB, two PCIex ports. Socket AM3, ATX, a motherboard im gonna keep for my next build as well. Supports DDR3 up to 1600 MHz stock speed, and dual channel as well.
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 Desktop Class HD103SJ, what more can you ask for? 7200 RPM SATA-3.
CASE: Cooler Master Storm Scout
- Since i first saw this case i got attached. Awesome. It DOES fit 10.5 inch cards, and supports both atx and micro-atx boards.
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Dual Kit Stiletto Edition 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz. CL9 (9-9-9-24)
Sata-3 DVD Burner, doesn't matter much i assume. Also just a stick of Arctic Silver 5.

[IMPORTANT NOTE]

I'm looking to buy a cooler for the CPU, but the CM V8 seems like its just a tad too low on the performance2price ratio. Any suggestions?

More about : rig

April 26, 2010 6:57:39 PM

bump
April 27, 2010 7:20:03 AM

bump
Related resources
April 27, 2010 12:35:47 PM

bump
April 27, 2010 1:14:46 PM

I would recommend one of these:
* Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Probably not the best option for quiet.
* Titan TTC-NK85TZ/V2 Fenrir
* Scythe Mugen 2
* Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B
* Noctua NH-U12P SE2

Corsair RAM, especially Dominators is usually overpriced, you should check if you can get similiar specs for cheaper from other brands, including Kingston, Crucial, G.Skill and others, if not from a cheaper line of Corsair Memory.
April 27, 2010 1:18:10 PM

For the RAM: get the G.Skill Ripjaws series CAS 7 4 GB set. It's cheaper and faster than the corsairs you have listed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For HDD: you want a Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB or 1 TB drive. These drives, besides other mechanical differences, are faster for their 500 GB platters.

MOBO: This ASUS uses the new 890 chipset

May be a bit more expensive than the one you had, so you'll have to decide whether it's worth it or not.

PSU: I know you've already got it, but you may want to invest in a higher quality PSU from Corsair or Antec. You want stable power and reliability from your PSU as well as high efficiency to ensure that your parts last as long as you want and perform well throughout their life. A low quality PSU will degrade your components faster and could cause stability issues and irreparable damage.

Considering that you want this motherboard to last you through this build and the next, it's a good investment.

GPU: Could you sell the 9800 and maybe invest in a 5770? it'll give you directx11

April 27, 2010 5:54:46 PM

Thanks for the advice people...

For the RAM I have decided to go with Kingston HyperX (with CL9)
For the HDD, i have decided to keep the wd caviar black, because im getting such a good deal on it.

I have looked at the PRO mobo with usb3 an' all, but it was simply too expensive, so i decided to degrade on the chipset a little, while still maintaining some pretty quality. For the PSU, i have read reviews on the internet, after buying this AJ Electronics (a national store) and concluded that it would do fine, as its a tolerable brand, and an overall just fine PSU.

For the GPU, im gonna look into selling it, but i really dont know where to sell it or what to sell it for. Problem emerged right thar :p 
April 27, 2010 6:18:27 PM

Have you found the Kingston's much cheaper than the G.Skills listed above?

How good is the deal on the WD hard drive? The spinpoint f3 and seagate barracuda 7200.12 (500 GB and 1 TB) drives will be faster and they're pretty cheap.

You should check out some professional reviews of that power supply. Over a quick google search, I'm seeing multiple comments about unstable power on the 12 V rail. Is it even 80 Plus? Please consider a higher quality unit.
April 27, 2010 8:23:02 PM

I couldn't find the G.Skills anywhere inside my country.

I did in fact find a cheap spinpoint f3. The 1tb version was a little more expensive than the 750gb wd black, but i went with it for the extra storage.

Power supplies are simply too expensive to make me upgrade to one of a better quality at this point in time. Yes the 12v rails are a tad unstable, but mine has been working pretty much as it should so far. I will upgrade in less than a year, when i get a newer graphics card. I won't worry too much about it.

One question. 80 Plus??

Ohh and one more. Mushkin Enhanced Blackline? Is it good? Cause its like 30 bucks cheaper than the kingston i found.
!