Sign in with
Your question

SIS's PC too sloooooow

Last response: in Memory
January 8, 2011 8:14:46 PM

My sister in St. Louis has an HP PC. It's got an Intel Celeron 2.5 Ghz CPU and 760 Mbytes of Ram. It has display sloooowness. By this I mean that the refresh rate is so slow that often a application screen remains visible for at least a second or two when you close the app out. I'm assuming that HP uses an Intel board, but what I do not understand is why 760 megs of RAM instead of 500 or 1 gig (you know, multiples of 2)? Any way, would inserting more or faster RAM speed up her PC? The HP clone of MS XP doe not tell me how fast her RAM is. Thank you in advance.

More about : sis sloooooow

a b } Memory
January 8, 2011 8:42:11 PM

We would need to know her HP model # to see how much RAM is available for your system... Ideally, XP needs 1GB of RAM but minimum requirement is 512mb.
m
l
January 9, 2011 1:42:38 PM

tecmo34 said:
We would need to know her HP model # to see how much RAM is available for your system... Ideally, XP needs 1GB of RAM but minimum requirement is 512mb.

Techno:
Her PC is a HP Pavilion a317x.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
January 9, 2011 2:03:41 PM

Your only option is to replace the 256MB RAM stick with another equal 512MB RAM stick for 1GB of memory. This is the max the system will support...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

This will give you a little more speed but your best overall move would to build or purchase a newer PC to see the biggest noticeable improvement.
m
l
January 9, 2011 6:30:20 PM

tecmo34 said:
Your only option is to replace the 256MB RAM stick with another equal 512MB RAM stick for 1GB of memory. This is the max the system will support...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

This will give you a little more speed but your best overall move would to build or purchase a newer PC to see the biggest noticeable improvement.

Unfortuneately, a new PC is not an option. Sis is on lay-off status at the moment. But I'm sure that she will remove the 256 Mb stick and replace it w/ 512 Mb. Thanks for the advice. I'm an AMD man myself and use a 9550 quad core w/ 4 gigs of ram.
m
l
!