Notebook Suggestiions Wanted, must have parallel port and ..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 23, 2004 7:43:15 PM

What I'm looking for:

512MB
60-80GB/4200
15" display
Parallel Port (built-in not external)
FIR (built-in not external)
1394
DVD/CD-RW
60WH battery
<7 pounds
<$1600

CPU speed and graphics chip are unimportant, other than being able to play a
DVD without frame drops.

So far the only one I've found that meets these criteria is the Compaq
Presario X1000 series. It looks like most models have dropped the parallel
port, and many have dropped infrared support. If anyone knows any other
models that meet this criteria, please tell me.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 25, 2004 12:05:39 AM

Check out the PowerPro M 5:14 at
http://www.powernotebooks.com/specs/PowerPro/m5-14.php

I believe the notebook that has what you want would cost about $1500 +
shipping. I don't have one of these machines, but this notebook is made by
Compal (a reputable Taiwanese company) and sold by Power Notebooks.com,
which has a good reputation too.

Bastler

"Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in message
> What I'm looking for:
>
> 512MB
> 60-80GB/4200
> 15" display
> Parallel Port (built-in not external)
> FIR (built-in not external)
> 1394
> DVD/CD-RW
> 60WH battery
> <7 pounds
> <$1600
>
> CPU speed and graphics chip are unimportant, other than being able to play
> DVD without frame drops.
>
> So far the only one I've found that meets these criteria is the Compaq
> Presario X1000 series. It looks like most models have dropped the parallel
> port, and many have dropped infrared support. If anyone knows any other
> models that meet this criteria, please tell me.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 25, 2004 12:18:00 AM

Also check out a similar deal at Velocity Micro for about the same price:

http://www.velocitymicro.com/wizard.php?iid=21

"George T Merriman" <bastler1@charter.net> wrote in message
> Check out the PowerPro M 5:14 at
> http://www.powernotebooks.com/specs/PowerPro/m5-14.php
>
> I believe the notebook that has what you want would cost about $1500 +
> shipping. I don't have one of these machines, but this notebook is made
> by Compal (a reputable Taiwanese company) and sold by Power Notebooks.com,
> which has a good reputation too.
>
> Bastler
>
> "Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote in message
>> What I'm looking for:
>>
>> 512MB
>> 60-80GB/4200
>> 15" display
>> Parallel Port (built-in not external)
>> FIR (built-in not external)
>> 1394
>> DVD/CD-RW
>> 60WH battery
>> <7 pounds
>> <$1600
>>
>> CPU speed and graphics chip are unimportant, other than being able to
>> play a
>> DVD without frame drops.
>>
>> So far the only one I've found that meets these criteria is the Compaq
>> Presario X1000 series. It looks like most models have dropped the
>> parallel
>> port, and many have dropped infrared support. If anyone knows any other
>> models that meet this criteria, please tell me.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 3:51:22 PM

"George T Merriman" <bastler1@charter.net> wrote in message news:<10l9h36l7fsil71@corp.supernews.com>...
> Check out the PowerPro M 5:14 at
> http://www.powernotebooks.com/specs/PowerPro/m5-14.php
>
> I believe the notebook that has what you want would cost about $1500 +
> shipping. I don't have one of these machines, but this notebook is made by
> Compal (a reputable Taiwanese company) and sold by Power Notebooks.com,
> which has a good reputation too.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I've heard of Compal (visited their
HQ in Taiwan actually).

I decided to get the Compaq X1000, for $1484, as it was less expensive
than the equivalent spec powernotebook (through Costco.com) and Costco
has the best return policy of any computer vendor in case I don't like
it.

Also looked at the Toshiba Tecra M2-S730, which was $150 more, but is
1.5# lighter. Tough choice, but the X1000 was available with a higher
resolution screen, and I do a lot of detail work of schematic and PCB
layout reviews, where the higher resolution will be useful.
!