Sign in with
Your question

Server for Local File Sharing

Last response: in Systems
April 27, 2010 12:46:37 AM

Hello all,

I am looking to build a server for local file sharing between computers in the same house. The purpose will mostly be for sharing videos and some Word documents between my Dad's company computers that are all on the same network. There are some Mac (the older G5's and the newer Imac), Windows 7 Desktops and Windows XP Desktops. What would be the easiest way to set up a file sharing server just between computers in the same house?
I have experience in building some Desktops for myself and office computers, but have no experience with Servers.
The cost would preferably be under $1,000, as the tasks this server would need to perform are very minimal.
If anyone has any suggestions on how to go about doing this please feel free to help.

Also, there is a firewall router already hooked into the network, and i have heard that putting two Routers on the same network is not a very good idea. What is the best way to get wireless internet? Any product links would be appreciated.

Thank you
April 28, 2010 6:57:42 PM

bump

do you guys think windows (home server or small business) would be better for my needs?

Keep in mind it needs to work well with both mac and pc
m
l
!