Solved

Using 12gb DDR3 on asus 1155 motherboard?

Hello,

I have a corsair 12gb 1600mhz memory (3 sticks 4GB each) I am using on my asus 1366 motherboard. If I migrate to the 1155 motherboard from asus, can I just use the same memory or should I get another identical 4gb chip so all 4 slots are filled?
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about using 12gb ddr3 asus 1155 motherboard
  1. Best answer
    mostwantd1 said:
    Hello,

I have a corsair 12gb 1600mhz memory (3 sticks 4GB each) I am using on my asus 1366 motherboard. If I migrate to the 1155 motherboard from asus, can I just use the same memory or should I get another identical 4gb chip so all 4 slots are filled?

You cant, becausr the corsair memory ur using on the 1366 board is triple channel, 1155 socket(sandy bridge ) use dual channel..but u can buy 16gb corsair 1600mz ram for like $300 AUD, which is pretty damn good.
  2. If you use three sticks it is single channel (if supported with 3) 4th identical stick will allow for dual channel. It is the motherboard/CPU memory controller not the ram that supports the memory channels.
  3. Best answer selected by mostwantd1.
  4. lol

rolli had the better (correct) answer.

Just buy another Corsair 4GB stick of the same type with the same timings and you'll have 16GB in dual channel mode.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Motherboards Memory