Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ATI 5850 Win7 Driver Issues?

Last response: in Windows 7
December 23, 2009 12:24:34 PM

OK I am about to start pulling my hair out because I am at a loss. I have this specific card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... installed in a brand new build based on a AMD Phenom II x4 965 with a MSI 790FX-GD70 MB.

The build went together absolutely headache free and was up and running for almost 24 hours before I tried to install the driver for the video card. At that time Win7 Pro 64bit would pop up and error that read "Video Display Driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered" but then it just does the same thing a couple more times and then the system just locks up.

I thought I screwed something up the first time with trying to D/L the driver. I ended up re-installing Win7 and started over with a clean D/L of the newest driver from XFX's website. Everything seemed to work fine and I was playing around with STEAM and D/Ling the Dirt game that came with the card. The system ran stable for maybe an hour or so and now it started the same thing and locks up shortly after reboot displaying the same driver error.

Any ideas on what I should try? Should I find a driver straight from ATI? It looks like the driver IS from ATI and XFX is just distributing it. I downloaded what should be the proper driver. It was for Win7 64bit and I downloaded the file marked display driver only. I don't think it is a hardware issue as it ran fine with a generic VGA driver when Win7 first installed. I believe it is a software issue.

Thanks,

-Joe
a b \ Driver
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 23, 2009 12:28:34 PM

I never download video drivers from the OEM I bought the card from. I always get them directly from Nvidia or AMD.

I would consider the possibility of a heat problem. Download HWMonitor from CPUID and start a game up. Play around for about 10 minutes, then close the game and check the maximum temperature of your video card as recorded by HWMonitor. Post the results here.
December 23, 2009 1:43:56 PM

The_Prophecy said:
I never download video drivers from the OEM I bought the card from. I always get them directly from Nvidia or AMD.

I would consider the possibility of a heat problem. Download HWMonitor from CPUID and start a game up. Play around for about 10 minutes, then close the game and check the maximum temperature of your video card as recorded by HWMonitor. Post the results here.

The problem is I can't even get get it to run for 10 minutes. I just went and turned it back on, it had been sitting for almost 2 hours, and it locks up right on system boot. I get the error maybe it recovers for 30 seconds then it errors again and then it locks up. The card is still iced cold to the touch. I can't run long enough to get heat readings. If I start in safe mode it runs fine.

-Joe
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 23, 2009 1:50:41 PM

69Rocket-Joe said:
The card is still iced cold to the touch.

That's likely the issue then.... if the heatsink isn't drawing heat off of the video chip, that would easily explain why it's locking up so quickly.
December 23, 2009 2:29:51 PM

The_Prophecy said:
That's likely the issue then.... if the heatsink isn't drawing heat off of the video chip, that would easily explain why it's locking up so quickly.

The back side of the card is still cold as well.

-Joe
December 23, 2009 2:30:33 PM

I just got the drivers downloaded from ATI, will be trying those shortly.

-Joe
January 16, 2010 12:26:23 AM

hey Joe how did you go with the drivers from ATI???

I have had the same issues with my sapphire 5850, crashing on botts flickering screens with all the colours of the rainbow, saying it has recovered from a serious driver error!!! I tried system restore different slotts in the mobo, driver cleaner different drivers including the latest from ATI, and it all started after I installed Dirt 2 and it was the first game it failed on so I uninstalled it from my steam account and it still happens so i'm at a loss, brand new build too. I spoke to a techie and they said it's probaby the memory in the actual card failing and needs to be sent back to place of purchase so thats what I am doing after a month of trilaling different scenarios?? have you tried another card in your system to see if it's anything else besides you GC??
Will let you know how I get on with it, hope you have some luck as I know how damn frusterating it is especially with a new rig.
January 17, 2010 2:40:59 PM

Whitebuffulo said:
hey Joe how did you go with the drivers from ATI???

I have had the same issues with my sapphire 5850, crashing on botts flickering screens with all the colours of the rainbow, saying it has recovered from a serious driver error!!! I tried system restore different slotts in the mobo, driver cleaner different drivers including the latest from ATI, and it all started after I installed Dirt 2 and it was the first game it failed on so I uninstalled it from my steam account and it still happens so i'm at a loss, brand new build too. I spoke to a techie and they said it's probaby the memory in the actual card failing and needs to be sent back to place of purchase so thats what I am doing after a month of trilaling different scenarios?? have you tried another card in your system to see if it's anything else besides you GC??
Will let you know how I get on with it, hope you have some luck as I know how damn frusterating it is especially with a new rig.

I RMA'd mine to Newegg and the replacement should be here this coming week.

-Joe
January 19, 2010 11:52:10 PM

OK Now I am getting frustrated. New card arrived from Newegg today. Installed it and the same thing is happening. It loads up Win7 and then the driver recovery thing starts up right away. I don't know what to do now. I'll have to track down another PCIe card to try to see if it is the MB. After all this screwing around I don't know if I can RMA the MB if it is. What a PITA, any other ideas?????

-Joe
a b $ Windows 7
January 20, 2010 11:19:19 AM

This might sound stupid, but you did hook up the power connectors to the card, right? I know the first time I purchased a video card that required an external power connector from the motherboard, I had problems with the card not working until I discovered that's what I needed to do. I guess if I would had read the instructions, I would have known! ;) 

One more thing, what is your power supply rated at? Looking at the video card you purchased, I noticed it requires two 6-pin power connectors.
January 20, 2010 3:13:43 PM

isamuelson said:
This might sound stupid, but you did hook up the power connectors to the card, right? I know the first time I purchased a video card that required an external power connector from the motherboard, I had problems with the card not working until I discovered that's what I needed to do. I guess if I would had read the instructions, I would have known! ;) 

One more thing, what is your power supply rated at? Looking at the video card you purchased, I noticed it requires two 6-pin power connectors.

ha ha, yeah the power is hooked up to it, otherwise I'd get no display at all I imagine!
PSU is a corsair 750tx.

-Joe
January 20, 2010 10:11:24 PM

OK well I just spend about another hour dinking around with the thing. This is what else I tried. I tried different wires from the PSU, I tried the adapter things that came with the GPU, no difference. Tried the second PCIe16 slot, no change. Then for hits and giggles I tried a PCIe8 slot and had the same results. All three slots couldn't be bad on the MB could they?

This is what I am thinking I will try this weekend:
Flash the BIOS
Tweak the RAM timings
Download drivers all over again to make sure I have the newest and a clean DL
Try another fresh install of WIN7
Maybe try an install of XP?
I think I can get another computer that has a single PICe16 slot as well as a 9800gt. I think the 9800gt is fried though as the last time I worked on it I had to use the onboard graphics because the display just died. I can try the 9800 in my system or the 5850 in the other system.

Anything else I could try???

-Joe
January 22, 2010 9:49:10 PM

Well I think I have eliminated the card itself as the issue. I borrowed a 9800GT and it is doing the same thing, only not as frequent. I was able to run Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool which displayed no memory errors. Now what? I have a 450 watt PSU, should I try that? Will that even be enough juice? I suppose if I leave the 9800 in there it should be?

-Joe
a b \ Driver
a c 372 $ Windows 7
January 24, 2010 5:25:05 PM

yes 450 will run a 9800!
February 2, 2010 1:26:38 AM

I'm having the exact problem as well. New build ATI 5850, GSkill 4gig, i7 860, and a gigabyte p55m-ud2, win7 x64.

While using windows explorer I frequently get the ati driver to crash and attempt a recovery. However, I played Dragon Age for about an hour w/o any problem.

I've installed the latest Catalyst Drivers as of today.
I'm going to try turning off aero mode in Win7 to see if that's the problem.

-T
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2010 2:25:00 AM

According to a recent article on Tom's Hardware (and other sites), the 5700 and 5800 series of ATI cards have issues that ATI is working on.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ATI-Grey-Screen-Fix-58...

I know that it has more to do with grey lines and such, but I wonder if that could be the source of your problems?
February 2, 2010 4:22:59 PM

same here...one crash per day keeps my Action centre busy. I have a Saphire Radeon 5870 with Windows 7 64bit. Thanks isamuelson for the link, even though I have still no idea what to do.... at least I'm not alone :sarcastic: 
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2010 4:37:44 PM

FeX_IronC said:
same here...one crash per day keeps my Action centre busy. I have a Saphire Radeon 5870 with Windows 7 64bit. Thanks isamuelson for the link, even though I have still no idea what to do.... at least I'm not alone :sarcastic: 

Unfortunately, I don't think there's much you can do until ATI fixes the issue. However, I suppose the good thing is they are saying it's a software issue and not a hardware issue.

February 6, 2010 10:04:58 AM

I have HD 5850 running in windows 7. It is a XFX one. I never had issues with them, not even drivers.
February 6, 2010 7:01:52 PM

isamuelson said:
Unfortunately, I don't think there's much you can do until ATI fixes the issue. However, I suppose the good thing is they are saying it's a software issue and not a hardware issue.

I'll have to try again with 8gb RAM whenever new drivers come out. For now I am happy to be running, even if it is with "just" 4gb RAM.

-Joe
February 11, 2010 11:33:05 PM

Ok, I am having the exact same issue. I'm running windows 7 64 bit. My system will be fine for about 5-10 minutes and then everything locks up, occasionally i will get a driver error message, "the driver AMD has stopped working but has recovered..." But other than that I have to do a hard reset because nothing is responding, not even the mouse. I turned off all Aero functions and that seemed to work for a bit but the lock ups have gotten progressively worse as the day has gone on even without Aero. I can disable the driver and that keeps it from locking up but it makes my card obviously useless. I just built my new machine, I'm using an HIS radeon 5850 in a gigabyte 790fxta-ud5 mb with a phenom II 965and 4gb of g.skill ripjaw series. I tried the hotfix which was posted on 2-5 and that didn't work AT ALL! I've tried reducing the ram speed and that didn't work. It's something in windows 7 but at this point I'm about ready to return the card to newegg for a refund and buy nvidia. HOW DO I FIX THIS!?
March 28, 2010 5:52:52 AM

I own Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 Toxic 1GB Video Card as of Friday(3/27/2010). Since then I have been experiencing flickering on my screen constantly. I have already requested an RMA from NewEgg. It seems to get worse when I am scrolling or when I open a game. I am currently running ATI's Driver 10.3. Today I noticed that when I opened CCC's ATI Overdrive that the 'Enable ATI Overdrive' checkbox was CHECKED. That caught my attention because I had not manually checked this checkbox. In the Group Box titled 'Current Values' it states GPU Clock: 240MHz and Memory Clock: 300MHz. Mind you that the flickering is constant. The moment I uncheck the checkbox the flickering instantly STOPS and the Group Box titled 'Current Values' changes to GPU Clock: 400MHz and Memory Clock: 1125MHz. So it appears that the idle settings for the card being that of voltage and other stuff might be TOO LOW. Should I continue with the RMA or could this be a Driver fix??? But wasn't this supposed to have already been fixed on Driver 10.1/10.2?
April 2, 2010 2:02:52 PM

Sounds like everyone here is having same problems as I had.

I tried everything to resolve my problem, RMA was pointless as there is nothing wrong with the hardware it is a driver issue, I would bet that the card will run fine, if not a little slow using the stock Windows 7 VGA driver.

It is also not a Windows 7 problem, I had the same problems running 64 bit Ubuntu.

I am unsure if the problem lies solely with 64 bit Operating system/drivers.

This problem does seem to be more prevalent on Asus motherboards and Sapphire GFX cards, both manufacturers abdicate any responsibility each referring me to the ATI drivers as the problem.

10.3 still does not solve the problem and I have had enough now and will be going to NVidia for my graphics solution.

Amazingly ATI say there is not really a problem as they have not had many reports of this kind of error, sounds like they too want to abdicate responsibility.

This is a shame because ATI cards are priced well and looking at the 5870 against the new NVidia GTX 480/470 cards is able to hold its own drawing a lot less power when idle and at max load.

I would be interested to hear from anyone having this problem on a non Asus mother board running an i7 Lynfield core.
April 2, 2010 3:33:21 PM

From AMD...

Quote:
Dear Customer,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200297226]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

We understand you're having a flickering issue withe the Sapphire HD5850. You have mentioned that the problem goes away if you increase the clock speeds. This shouldn't be the case as the issue should have been resolved with Catalyst 10.2. We would suggest going with warranty service as this could be a hardware issue.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

From Sapphire...
Quote:
Sounds like hardware issue with the card, please provide a copy of the purchase receipt and send it to tech@althonmicro.com for RMA service.

To post a response please go to the link below.

Link: http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/support/respondtoticket....

To create a new topic please go to the link:
Link: Create New Topic.

Thank You

Sapphire Tech Support

Both AMD and Sapphire responded by stating that it is definitely a Hardware issue. I RMA'ed through NewEgg and should be getting my card this coming Monday. I will post my findings but I am positive that it is a Hardware issue.

April 9, 2010 6:22:46 PM

Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 / G.Skill Ripsaw 4 Gb / Gigabyte P55A-UD4P / i7 860 / W7 64bit. Same/similar issue. Computer randomly freezes, sometimes with 'display driver crash'. Am running the latest ATI drivers and installed all hot fixes.
April 9, 2010 6:52:50 PM

Well, after I got the 2nd Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 Toxic 1GB Video Card from NewEgg I noticed that the flickering diminished quite a bit but sometimes I would see it flicker for a split second. I was not satisfied...(1st) All the reviews I read for this particular video card suggested a Idle GPU Clock of 157MHz and Memory Clock of 300MHz at Temps around 35C. My 2nd card's Idle GPU CLock was set at 400MHz and Memory CLock at 900MHz at temps around 58C. (2nd) I still flickered. I did not want to go to NVidia so I just got a ASUS EAH5870 V2 HD5870. Seems to be running fine.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 11, 2010 10:28:31 AM

This may be redundant since this thread is beginning to look like a book, but has anyone tried booting into the Safe mode (F8)?
April 13, 2010 1:42:03 PM

I've been emailing with both ATI and Sapphire and let me give you guys an update... Uninstalling 10.3 and running in VGA mode completely stops the random freezes so I'm pretty sure the ATI drivers are causing this.

Next plan of action (on Sapphire's request) is to install the 10.1 followed by the 10.2 drivers to see what happens. I would say... Try removing the ATI drivers if you have this issue to see what happens. It's not a long term solution but it's good to isolate the issue.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 13, 2010 2:36:57 PM

Recommend using Driver Sweeper http://www.phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/View-category
to remove the old driver before installing the new driver.

Boot into the Safe mode (F8) to use this program. If a driver is in use, it can't be properly remove and the Safe mode boots without using the driver you want to remove.

April 21, 2010 12:05:40 PM

I have a similar problem and I have already gotten a replacement card from Sapphiire. I am currently running XP64 and Linux Mint 8. I had the problem on other Operating Systems as well. The problem for me is almost certainly a driver issue. I can install the FGLRX drivers in linux without using the AMD CCC or drivers and I experience no crashes, but as soon as I install any part of the ATI driver pack I start having trouble.

I tried installing only parts of the package to remove the AMD Unsupported Hardware watermark from the bottom right hand corner of my screen.

When I installed only the driver my cursor disappeared. When I tried only CCC there were no noticeable changes. When I installed the kernel module my computer starts crashing. For now I am just using the FGLRX drivers since that seems to be the only functioning resolution in Mint. However, the problem is persistent in Windows XP 64 and I have no clear resolution. I tried removing the drivers and re-installing with no success. Have any of you een able to reach a solid resolution when installing in safe mode?

Thank you for any additional input that you have to contribute!
April 26, 2010 12:51:39 AM

That is not a fix but temporary work-around. If you google at all reviews for 5850 you will notice that they all idle at GPU Clock @ 157MHz and Memory Clock @ 300MHz @ around 36C [for example, http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1238/10/ ]. Reviewers never mention flicker problems. So my take is ATI gave reviewers good cards and turned around and gave us a revised cheaper version to save money. I had 2 Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 Toxic 1GB and 1 ASUS 5870 and ALL 3 of them FLICKERED like crazy at idle. Yes, I tried the suggested solution of creating a profile setting GPU Clock @ 400MHz and Memory Clock @900MHz and it did work but I not only wanted a fast video card but I also bought them because of power savings at idle. Both Sapphire and ATI stated to me that it was a hardware issue and that I should RMA. And I really doubt that the upcoming 10.4 will fix the FLICKER problem since they have known about this since late last year.
April 26, 2010 2:49:50 PM

Thanks everyone for the updates... A quick update from my side: I have RMAd my 5850 and running rock stable now using standard VGA and a old ATI 9250, so my issue was definitely related with either the drivers or the 5850 (a last resort could be a faulty PSU, but that's highly unlikely since I have a Corsair HX650).
May 5, 2010 6:37:21 PM

69Rocket-Joe said:
OK Now I am getting frustrated. New card arrived from Newegg today. Installed it and the same thing is happening. It loads up Win7 and then the driver recovery thing starts up right away. I don't know what to do now. I'll have to track down another PCIe card to try to see if it is the MB. After all this screwing around I don't know if I can RMA the MB if it is. What a PITA, any other ideas?????

-Joe

Get a different brand card.... I also have a Sapphire and am going to RMA it (toxic 5850 2gb) - it works but the screen does flicker... going with gigabyte card.
May 11, 2010 6:11:38 PM

I received a replacement RMA card (A Viper-X instead of a 'regular' 5850 card) from Sapphire and all my problems are gone now, so it was definitely the graphics card in my case.
July 7, 2010 4:19:03 PM

Anyone could solve the problem...? I have a Sapphire HD 5850 with the same problems. With the onboard card could run Crysis, NFS Shift, etc. (low graphics) without any problems. When I installed the new card I get the "driver recovered" message and the game crashes. I don't have any problems with HD videos or Windows. I tried reinstalling windows 7 (x64), using Driver sweeper, installing different versions of catalyst and none of this worked... Next, I'll try other versions of Windows (Ubuntu, Vista 64bits, Vista 32bits or XP) to see what happens. Please help.

Greetings from Argentina!!
July 25, 2010 2:44:48 AM

I am having a similar problem with the XFX Radeon 5850 from which I purchased from newegg. My problem differs though as my card does not completely crash my PC, but I do get the error in the task bar from Win 7 64 saying, "Your Card has recovered from an unexpected Crash" or something of that nature. For me the error only occurs when I watch Youtube or Google videos. Also it does not always happen, and I run MSI afterburner and several core temp programs. I even have a sidebar that shows my temp constantly its at 55C right now and its not OC'd while in 2D graphics which is the desktop. I had it OC'd a bit for 3D games and it works flawlessly. I do not know what the problem is, luckily the XFX has a lifetime warranty. I have the latest drivers from the AMD website. Not sure if this may be connected, but I run dual monitors with a program called UltraMon, maybe some of you also are using this and it may be the problem?

System Spec's
CPU: Intel I7 930 2.8ghz OC'd to 3.6ghz
Mobo: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Ram: OCZ DD3 6 gigs tripple channel. OCZ3G1600LV2G
Video Card: XFX Radeon 5850
HD: 1.5TB & 2x 500gig
PSU: 850w cant remeber name not a fancy corsair or antec, but not real cheap.
July 30, 2010 6:33:39 AM

Well, I am also having the same issue. But whats wierd. I had the card for about 3 months. But just recently, I started getting the error. I have a single monitor setup. I have a Sapphire 5850. And mine happens sometimes while I am on a streaming video website. It's pissing me off. Could it be a windows thing. God knows. I'm also at a loss.
July 30, 2010 8:47:21 AM

Try over/underclocking? First try in catalyst, it has the overdrive option.
August 4, 2010 3:46:22 AM

I had the XFX 5830 with constant Blue Screens. System custom built by CompUSA (Tigerdirect). So I exchanged the card for a XFX 5850 - first day, today 2 blue screens already. ASUS mother board, i7 930, 24 GB memory, Three vizio 26" monitors (only two working - eyefinity is another issue) 6 HD (3 sets of raid 0) the video problem is driving me crazy - who spends all this money to be dealing with blue screens. Window 7 64 bit reports it to be video hardware error - my next option will be NVidia. My other machine has a XFX 4870 under Vista 64 and has never given me problems. Unless I find a solution like right now NVidia here I come.

Update - Windows reported it was a video error but it was really a RAM problem. Comp USA had installed similar but not exact verified/approved RAM in my new system.

By the time this was figured out I had switched to two NVIDIA 460's in SLI running three monitors with zero complaints. I am pretty sure the other cards would have worked fine - but who knows!!!!
January 6, 2011 3:13:02 AM

I have the newer 10.12 drivers for my XFX5850 and mine is still flickering and freezing and giving me windows pop ups that say i have recovered from a ATI driver crash and now its just now started to literally turn off the card randomly.. all my fans in the case will still have power but it seems like my card just looses power.. and so far XFX is trying to blame it on my CPU??? even the blue screens i get now and then say ATI driver failure.. i have tried reinstalling windows, Driver's and even in different system and it still dose the same thing.. I'm starting to miss my old sapphire 4670..

:fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou: 
P.S. Has anyone found a solution to it or am i going to have to keep fighting with XFX till they let me RMA it?
January 6, 2011 3:51:21 AM

So far the best solution that I have found is to delete the CCC and only use the 10.12 drivers. Use driver cleaner and remove the ATI software in safe mode and then only install the driver. Make sure that your Windows install is up to date before removing/installing drivers. Let me know if you have any luck.

It is funny that I am still having problems after all this time...I got an RMA card which was a Sapphire Toxic HD 5850 1GB card and I still have problems with the card. Most recently I have replaced my power Supply from an off brand 650w to a COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSA00-80GAD3-US 1000W, which sadly did not solve any problems. I have removed and reinstalled the drivers numerous times and I have had the best luck so far with just removing all the ati crap and using only the drivers. Although after my last MS Windows 7 update now random areas (text fields mostly) of my screen are blacked out. When I switch back to my old 8800GT I have no such problems. I don't believe that I will ever bother with an ATI Video Card again after all the headache.
March 17, 2011 4:18:44 PM

System Specs:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Asus P7P55D Deluxe BIOS Ver:08.00.15
Intel Core i5 CPU 670@3.47 (4CPUs) ~3.5GHz
Corsair H50 CPU Cooler
Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 2GB Vapor-x
HDD Velociraptor 150GB
Caviar Green 1TB
Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W

CCC 11.2

My problem is random freezes and audio stuttering. This occurs from once or twice a day, to multiple times an hour, for about about half a second. This occurs for all media; from spotify to youtube to games like Crysis. The system itself seems unaffected and will resume immediately. The rare Display Driver Crash does occur also.

Though very annoying this thankfully isn't as upsetting as the problems some of you guys have had; meaning I'm fairly comfortable to wait for the next driver package (if that fails I'll be RMAing). I've contacted AMD and Sapphire and am waiting for a reply.

I have tried a system restore, clean install of drivers, updated mobo Bios plus much more I can't remember right now.

In the mean time I will try a clean install of drivers without some CCC content and maybe also over/underclocking if the problem still persists. I'll try to get back to say how I got on.

UPDATE: My problems have now been resolved and my system is running perfectly. The solution for me was not specific as many things were tried and once. Tasks undertaken include updating the BIOS and vBIOS, checking all hardware connections, clean install of OS with clean hardrives, plus other general maintenance tasks like defragmenting etc. My experience with this suggests that my problem is unlikely to be because of the GPU. Sorry I can't be more specific to help you guys but hopefully my relief will give you hope. Good luck!
June 11, 2011 5:37:19 PM

Hey guys,

All of your problems with the Radeon 5xxx series sound surprisingly similar to those had in the early days of the Asus G73JH. (GSOD, etc)

Make sure you're all running the *VERY LATEST* BIOS and vBIOS versions.
June 15, 2011 9:21:47 PM

Hey everyone,

I have posted before on this forum about this EXACT same problem that Im having with my XFX 5850 which nobody has replied to, and Im still having this same problem. A message would randomly pop up and say "Video Display Driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered" then very shortly after that my whole system freezes, it does this during games and even on idle.

The rig I have built is a new build and after 3 weeks of having the gpu the problem is still occuring no matter what Ive tried to do to solve the problem. The specs of my build are:

Intel Core i5 2500k @3.3ghz
Asus P8P67
4GB Kingston Hyper-x 1600
of course the troublesome 5850 1GB
500GB seagate hdd
Coolermaster 650w psu
Win 7 64 bit OS

Now, Ive tried the latest driver versions and 2 or 3 of the previous versions aswell which has not helped. The funny thing is when I tried out my old gpu that I upgraded from which is an XFX 8800GTS 640MB DDR3, I have NO PROBLEMS what so ever which rules out that it could be the motherboard at fault. I have obviously used driver sweeper and ccleaner when uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, I have tried 1 stick of RAM and still the problem occurs.

I know how Joe and others who have this problem feel as it is very frustrating and annoying, and currently I strongly agree with what some of you guys say where it is most likely to be a software related issue with ATI
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
June 16, 2011 9:43:18 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!