Just installed new graphics card, Help.

timyo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Ok so I just put in my new graphics card (Sapphire Radeon 5670HD 1 GB) And as soon as I start the computer up the resolution goes down to its lowest and says something about failed vga adapter. Im installing drivers right now but How do I get the card to work?

Get the drivers installed first, download some up to date ones if you can. Do you have onboard graphics as well ? Getting dumped down to 600x800 is usual when having no drivers, its basically running in a default mode untill the drivers are there to tell it what to do properly.
What was installed before and did you remove the drivers for that first ?

Mactronix

As there has been no response yet
Usually you would have uninstalled the drivers using tehuninstall utility that would have been in the driver folder BEFORE you removed the old card.
So have you installed the ATI drivers yet ? If not then just drop the Nvidia card in and uninstall the drivers -remove card-install ATI card and install ATI drivers.
Some would at this point recomend you use something like driver sweeper which you can download but i hav enever personally used it so dont know exactly how it works.

Mactronix

timyo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
I had intergrated nividia 9100 chip graphics. I uninstalled the graphics and now im in the ati catalyst driver installer thing but its stuck on the Microsoft visual c++ 2005 stuff.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I would suggest using driversweeper, especially when going from Nvidia to ATI.
Go to your control panel and use the add/remove programs tool to uninstall all of the Nvidia drivers. download driversweeper ( http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/ ) and install it. Reboot into safemode on your PC, and then run driversweeper while in safe mode- this will make sure there are no remnants of the Nvidia drivers left on your computer. Reboot your PC and then install the Catalyst Control Center and ATI drivers. This should get you set and running.

Edit: Did you reboot after uninstalling? I would make sure you uninstall both the ATI AND Nvidia drivers at this point and run Driversweeper, and make sure you are starting from somewhat of a clean start, THEN install CCC. Hopefully it will go smoother.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Uninstall it. PhysX is an Nvidia proprietary thing, which means it only works on Nvidia and will not work on your ATI. However, PhysX is really mostly a gimmick and only improves visuals a little bit in a few games. I doubt you will miss it.

timyo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Another thing, When i start install it asks to choose either windows xp/ windows xp 64 or windows7/windowsvista. I have vista 64 bit. Is it not compatible?