Sign in with
Your question

All accounts with administrator rights are locked out (lockout count has been ex

Last response: in Windows XP
January 11, 2013 4:47:55 PM

All accounts with administrator rights are locked out (lockout count has been exceeded). XP Pro SP3. Only have access through a Limited User account. Can the accounts be unlocked?
a b 8 Security
January 11, 2013 5:10:40 PM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Does it behave the same way if you tap Function 8 at startup and select Safe Mode? Log in as Administrator then go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Local Security Policies under the Account Users headings.
m
l
January 11, 2013 6:05:04 PM

Or wait until the lockout duration that is set on the system passes and the accounts should be accessible again with the proper password ! (IIRC by default it is 30 minutes )
m
l
Related resources
January 11, 2013 7:14:45 PM

Saga Lout said:
Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Does it behave the same way if you tap Function 8 at startup and select Safe Mode? Log in as Administrator then go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Local Security Policies under the Account Users headings.

The only accessible account is a limited account. Administrator can't be accessed. All accounts except the limited one were acting as though they had exceeded the lockout count (even though none were exceeded, it just reported that they were locked out). Vic Ferri from TechTrax had a solution that I tried and it seems to have worked, although it has caused some other problems, it has at least gotten us beyond the immediate problem of not being able to log in. Thanks for your response.
m
l
January 11, 2013 7:19:11 PM

JDFan said:
Or wait until the lockout duration that is set on the system passes and the accounts should be accessible again with the proper password ! (IIRC by default it is 30 minutes )

Because of security reqmts in our installation, locked out accts have to cleared by an admin. The built-in Administrator account had been disabled, so that avenue was closed to us. See my response to Saga Lout for the solution I eventually came up with. Thanks for you response.
m
l
!