Best card for my pc?

matt12321

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I have a acer aspire x3200 with dual core 2.6ghz processer and 3 gb of ram. Problem is I want to be able to run new games like BC2 (on low graphics) and my current nvdida x3200 isnt up to the job. I will need to buy a graphics card that is pretty small to fit in my small case and doesnt use much power, i only have a 230w PSU. Will either of these cards work, or any others?
http://www.shop4usb.co.uk/Components.9/video+cards.97/11140-41-20R/Radeon+HD4650+512MB.349945.html

http://www.firstreact.co.uk/details.php?s=g&p=2GRGAL-9600GT-LP

Solution
They definitely have different Sapphire model numbers, but Sapphire's website is poorly detailed and states, "All specifications and accessories are subject to change without notice. Please check with your supplier for exact offers. Products may not be available in all markets."

From the specs listed, it would appear only the outputs are different. The first has 2 DVI and 1 VGA, while the 2nd has 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, and one VGA. Connection to an HDMI monitor or television is still possible on the first through the use of a DVI-to-HDMI converter dongle, but they do not state if it's included. Most 4000-series cards did include them, though. You'd have to call and see.

If a DVI-to-HDMI converter is included, then the first card is the better...

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
They'll both fit, but the 9600GT requires a PCIe 6-pin power cable. I doubt your PSU has it. The Sapphire 4650 will work in your system just fine as it requires no additional PCIe power cable. The 4650 is quite honestly one of the most powerful low-profile / low-power consumption cards available.

I also direct you to numerous other threads with similar low-power, low-profile, slim-line systems and their discussions. They're well worth the read, as well as the time to look for them.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=33&post=262320&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=33&post=284941&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=33&post=284891&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I was going to mention the 5570, but an additional £30 investment over the £42 Sapphire 4650 seems a bit much for a PC that's going to show it's age in new titles. Sure, a 5570 would probably perform better in BFBC2, but I think the CPU is going to have more of an impact on this PC's performance than either of those video card choices.

I was more thinking about his 230watt PSU than his money.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I know people who've put that same 4650 into machines with 220 and 230 watt PSU's and it works just fine. A 5570 should be no different, other than the potential for issue that can arise when installing a PCIe 2.1 spec card into a PCIe 1.0/1.1 motherboard. I seriously doubt a pre-fab like his Acer is going to have much as far as BIOS updates to sort that out should that issue rear it's ugly head.

Of course, there's the general age of the PC. It's fine for basic internet-based activity, some light gaming, and general work. But brand new graphically intensive gaming? It's just not going to be able to keep up much longer at all.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Ahh, OK. I knew it was an AMD X2 CPU. I figured it for a 5000+ :)
Wasn't sure about the PCIe slot, though. Good thing the 2.1 in a 1.0 issue won't be an issue at all.

I suppose with reduced settings and at a reasonable resolution, either card could do OK in that game.

Actually you might be right about the 5000+ I might have jumped a line on the chart.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
4650 is really the only option you have among the first two you linked. But, you can get a step above the 4650 with the new 5570. It has more graphics power than the 4650, but uses less electrical power, meaning it should not be a burden on your Power Supply at all, even under full load.

The question is, do you want to spend the extra 30 quid on an older system like this for that additional performance? Either way you go, your graphics performance will get better with either choice.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
They definitely have different Sapphire model numbers, but Sapphire's website is poorly detailed and states, "All specifications and accessories are subject to change without notice. Please check with your supplier for exact offers. Products may not be available in all markets."

From the specs listed, it would appear only the outputs are different. The first has 2 DVI and 1 VGA, while the 2nd has 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, and one VGA. Connection to an HDMI monitor or television is still possible on the first through the use of a DVI-to-HDMI converter dongle, but they do not state if it's included. Most 4000-series cards did include them, though. You'd have to call and see.

If a DVI-to-HDMI converter is included, then the first card is the better choice. You could actually hook-up two DVI monitors to it by default, whereas on the 2nd, you could not. Both have all 3 connections covered.

Solution

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Heh, thanks and you're welcome, Matt. Good luck with your purchase. I hope it makes your gaming more enjoyable. If you require any other help or advice, just fire away here or via PM.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that DVI connections can be converted to both VGA or HDMI with the appropriate adapters, and both types are quite common. So the more DVI outputs, the more monitor configurations that can be supported.

matt12321

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Just to let you know I installed the 4650 with no problems and its running great :) . My windows index score is up by 0.9 on both graphic areas, and I can run BC2 on medium to lowish graphics. I havent had any problems with the low PSU either. Thanks