Windows XP SP2- How to install programs from "my backup folder"

nermchest

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Hello,

I'm really a novice so forgive me. I have an older laptop that sat dormant for 2 years or so. nothing wrong. worked great but work gave me another to use.

I could not login wtih password i had forgotten. I did not use password recovery. I backed up the system (programs, files) and logged in as Admin.

how do i restore my system including MS Office and all the other programs that i can't access now? When i login as admin, under C drive, i can see those programs in the newly created "My Backup dated Nov 2012"

Do I perform System Restore from restore point Nov 6 2012? I dont' want to go buy all the programs again so it's most important that i keep the programs. no personal files so not an issue.

thanks very much for the help. I need it.
tb

Have you tried using the backup and restore program to restore the files? Assuming you used Windows Backup to create the backup you should find it in control panel. If that fails then you can try the following and attempt to restore after you take ownership.
You can try taking ownership of the backup file or folder by:
1. Right click on the file or folder
2. Click on Properties
3. Click on the Security tab
4. Click on Advanced
5. Click on the Owner tab
6. Click on Edit
7. Click on Administrators...
8. Click on Apply
9. A Windows Security Window will open - Click on OK
10. Click on OK again to exit
11. Keep clicking OK until all of the open windows close
After doing this you can try using the backup/restore program to restore the programs you need.