wajed

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Hi,

A lot has been going on to my HDD. First I've moved LOTS of data to it, I defragmented it using some tool, I tried to backup the data on it, etc...

Now it's not working properly. If I move files, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

I noticed that if it hanged at a certain file, even if I disconnect and try again, moving the samee file won't work, and that file doesn't have to be that large (10-100 MB big).

Some files (even 100-300 MB) are moved easily.

I've noticed that the hanging isn't really complete stop. It 1) Takes too long to recognize the file 2) It moves the file extemely slowly (100KB/s).
But sometimes a file is never discovered (I have to cancel the transfer, since it takes too long to discover the file that it seems like it would never discover it).

I tried backing up using software and manually moving the files. I can't do anything, it hangs every few number of files. What are my options?

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
The first thing I would do is plug it in to a USB 2 socket and see if it works OK there. If it does, then there is an issue with either your computer or the hard drive's implementation of USB 3. If it doesn't work in a USB 2 socket, then I would suspect there is an issue with the hard drive itself.

wajed

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I did that, even on a different laptop. It stuck and didn't work.

I understand it's the hard drive itself, but how do I move the files at such slow speed? I'm taking about few (100-500) KB/s speed.

I've moved a lot of files, but some files are stuck. I've got a few ideas to solve the problem. If you anyone has got an idea please tell.