Sign in with
Your question

SSD Configuration

Last response: in Storage
June 7, 2012 8:14:51 AM

Need some help on this one. I just purchased a Samsung 830 256GB SSD. I have an Asus P8P67 EVO motherboard which has 2 Intel 6GB connections and 4 Intel 3GB connections. I have read the Marvell controller should be avoided if possible.

My current setup is a Raid0 config using two WD Black 750GB drives, I wanted to keep this for files storage and such and use the SSD drive for my OS and applications. My question is with the motherboard I have what is the best way to get the most out of these 3 drives? I have googled around and I haven’t been able to come up with a solid answer. Thanks for the help.

More about : ssd configuration

a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
June 7, 2012 8:59:57 AM

Attach your new SSD to one of the Intel 6GB/s controllers. You can still run the RAID0 array, but if you haven't been doing so, I'd run it off the Intel 3GB/s controller. The standard HDDs can't even utilize the full bandwidth of a SATA II 3GB/s connection so it makes no sense to connect them to the SATA III 6GB/s ports.

This will allow you to utilize the full potential of your SSD and get the added speed out of your HDDs with the RAID0 array. I would recommend running a RAID0 only if you are dealing with video editing and uncompressed video formats, otherwise, I would use one of the WD Black drives for apps and the other for data.

I keep my OS on an SSD separate from my apps and data in the config below using the WD Black drives just for those purposes. Works out well when you need to upgrade the OS drive for any reason (ie when your new motherboard and SSD support SATA IV in the future). Then it's just a matter of cloning.

Now with a 256GB drive like yours, I'd put a couple of my most used apps on there in addition, but not too many. Who would have though going from a 1TB drive to a 128GB drive would have been an upgrade 5 or 6 years ago? You know what I mean? The SSDs started well smaller in capacity to the HDDs, but are an upgrade because of the speed. This might happen again when we move to SATA IV 24GB/s or whatever. This is why I suggest keeping the data on your boot SSD to a minimum.
m
l
June 7, 2012 12:57:52 PM

Thanks for the info, makes a lot of sense. It is kind of funny to see that this is an upgrade. I do a lot of video editing and rendering so I will take the advise and use the RAID 0. I through in a couple of spare HDD drives last night and began copying data as I figured the RAID could lose its configuration, I mean I have seen it happen before. Thanks again.
m
l
!