Memory performance: 12GB vs 24GB

simplefranco

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
Hello everyone, as usual, my #1 advisors for hardware upgrades!

So, I have successfully assembled my very 1st home build PC, and one of the choices I made was to leave memory for last.

Tthe machine has shown very great performance and stability compared to my old rig and is now problems free, so I have some money saved and I thought I should start using triple-channel DDR3 (currently using 2 * 2GB @ 1333).
I have an EVGA x58 that should handle up to 24GB @ 1600 Mhz.

Now my main concern is I believe there are some sort of boundaries where it's just not worth spending so much. I was thinking about going for 6 * 2GB @ 1600Mhz, which will fill the whole 6 slots but I am not sure if I am throwing performance away. I say this because I use this computer for gaming and will need it for video & post-production rendering and "time is of the essence".

I want to make rendering as fast as possible, so far I think I have decent specs for the job, except for memory:

EVGA x58
i7 950 @ 3.06GHz
nV GTX 460 1GB
SAMSUNG F3 @ 7200
4GB @ 1333 Mhz

running on a 64-bit Windows 7

As usual, thanks in advance!

Unless you're rendering 3X2GB on Windows 7 x64 is plenty, but since you're rendering start with 12GB or if the $ is there 24GB, but you'll need 4GB sticks to leave your options open. I would recommend 3X4GB over 6X2GB the switching "more sticks" is slower with 6X_GB.

I would look at the CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 1600CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145321
or if OC'ing the CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 2000 CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145329

If you 24GB the best is to get a fully match 6X4GB set -> G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB)DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL9T2-24GBR http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231359

Corsair as of now is not Mfg'ing 6X4GB matched sets.

simplefranco

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010

I was unsure if someone would say "Nah, you won't notice much difference from 12GB to 24". I hope it's not the case.

I'll start with 12GB see how it handles.

Thanks!

I don't render, BUT I task the RAM + CPU + SSD equally if not harder with 'trial' SQL runs on my i7 930's that take up to several hours to flatten a HUGE SQL database; in a 4 hour run I'm shaving-off on 1600 MHz CAS 8 Dominator about 10~20+ minutes plus. Your 'Production' rig is 'unique' for a rendering rig. For my production runs everything is done on large servers.

Q - What are you 'rendering' - "I want to make rendering as fast as possible..."

You're a bit "whacked" at the moment as the 1366 platform is built to use triple channel memory in a 3 x 2Gb configuration. You're bit "gimped" w/ 2 x 2G.

If the stuff is "new" perhaps you can return it for a proper set. Try out the 3 x 2G and if ya find yaself wanting.

If it's from newegg, here's the return policy

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/ReturnPolicy.aspx#41

As to what it might do for you, 6 vs 12 vs 24, I'd consult your software vendor.

simplefranco

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
Heya, thanks for all the feedback!

Q - What are you 'rendering'

For now, mostly motion graphics in After FX, but I am moving on to 3D (considering AE is 2.5D). The performance is ok, but as JackNaylorPE said, I am supposed to be running triple-channel, so nothing to lose there.

You're a bit "whacked" at the moment as the 1366 platform is built to use triple channel memory in a 3 x 2Gb configuration. You're bit "gimped" w/ 2 x 2G.

Yep, long story short, when building the machine I thought I could take most of my components to the new system and keep upgrading it whenever I had the extra money for it. Thing is, the mainboard is not DDR 2 compatible, haha, so when I was plugging in the memory sticks, I immediately noticed something was wrong. So the very next day I bought the cheapest (which were not cheap at all!) DDR 3 sticks I could find.

Thanks for the info, but it's not from newegg, heh. How is it by the way? I am quite happy with my hardware supplier, but if I can find cheaper, hey ;)
Good reputation?

Thanks once again!

Since your rendering, I would recommend selling your Dual Channel Kit and use one of the kits I linked above. Yeah, it's the first thing I noticed {2x2}; you could simply add another IDENTICAL 2X2GB Kit for a total of 8GB if 8GB is adequate. Yes, you are running Dual Channel mode but it's not the end of the world. {see below}

Good Luck!

DDR3_GA.jpg

pshivdikar

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Don't think only memory increasing means increased your coversion speed or rendering. Now try to get good SMPS with dual rail. Choose good brand and minimum 800 watts