LCD question for Nikon 8400 owners

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 7, 2004 7:26:31 PM

I was recently testing this camera in a local shop. When I pointed it out
the window... it was a very bright day... the LCD screen had a lot of
vertical purple/magenta banding. The banding seemed to diminish a bit when
the camera locked focus. The captured image was fine. I found it a bit
distracting for composing. I've never seen a reviewer, or a camera owner,
commenting on this. Is this a normal occurence or a flaw in the LCD ? I
don't see it on my old Canon G2.
thanks...MTB
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 7:26:32 PM

"MTBike1970" <NOSPAMmtbike1970@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> I was recently testing this camera in a local shop. When I pointed it out
> the window... it was a very bright day... the LCD screen had a lot of
> vertical purple/magenta banding. The banding seemed to diminish a bit
when
> the camera locked focus. The captured image was fine. I found it a bit
> distracting for composing. I've never seen a reviewer, or a camera owner,
> commenting on this. Is this a normal occurence or a flaw in the LCD ? I
> don't see it on my old Canon G2.
> thanks...MTB

I've never seen any camera do that.
It sounds like you held a bad unit...
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 2:51:41 AM

Archived from "MTBike1970" <NOSPAMmtbike1970@yahoo.ca> on Tue, 7 Dec 2004
16:26:31 -0500:

>I was recently testing this camera in a local shop. When I pointed it out
>the window... it was a very bright day... the LCD screen had a lot of
>vertical purple/magenta banding. The banding seemed to diminish a bit when
>the camera locked focus. The captured image was fine. I found it a bit
>distracting for composing. I've never seen a reviewer, or a camera owner,
>commenting on this. Is this a normal occurence or a flaw in the LCD ? I
>don't see it on my old Canon G2.
>thanks...MTB

Likely it is a hosed demo unit.

vm
December 8, 2004 1:27:13 PM

MTBike1970 wrote:
> I was recently testing this camera in a local shop. When I pointed
> it out the window... it was a very bright day... the LCD screen had a
> lot of vertical purple/magenta banding. The banding seemed to
> diminish a bit when the camera locked focus. The captured image was
> fine. I found it a bit distracting for composing. I've never seen a
> reviewer, or a camera owner, commenting on this. Is this a normal
> occurence or a flaw in the LCD ? I don't see it on my old Canon G2.
> thanks...MTB

I've seen similar effects in the Nikon 5700, and I think I've seen it in
the 8400 as well. I've probably just got used to it now! I recall it was
mentioned in the 5700 manual as nothing to worry about.

David
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 1:27:14 PM

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 10:27:13 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "David J
Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote:

> I recall it was
>mentioned in the 5700 manual as nothing to worry about.

FWIW, I don't remember this and a quick search on "monitor" didn't
find anything other than:

Notes on the monitor and viewfinder
• The monitor and viewfinder may contain
a few pixels that are always lit or that do
not light. This is a characteristic common
to all TFT LCD monitors and does not indicate
a malfunction. Images recorded
with the product will not be affected.
• Images in the monitor may be difficult to
see in a bright light.
• The monitor and viewfinder are lit by a
fluorescent backlight. Should the monitor
or viewfinder begin to dim or flicker,
contact your Nikon service representative.
• Do not apply pressure to the monitor or
viewfinder, as this could cause damage or
malfunction. Dust or lint adhering to the
monitor or viewfinder can be removed
with a blower brush. Stains can be removed
by rubbing the surface lightly with
a soft cloth or chamois leather.
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
!