Windows XP oem to Win 7 upgrade=freedom to change motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zankuto

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
My plan is to buy the windows 7 family pack upgrade. There are 3 computers in my house that run OEM windows.
Windows XP SP3 32bit OEM.
Vista 64 bit OEM
Vista 32bit OEM

The question is if I upgrade my windows xp OEM to win 7 will that give me the ability to change my motherboard like a full boxed retail version of Windows 7 would allow?

Solution
Hello...so... you are installing a full version of WINDOWS? if so there should be no X-referencing to the OEM... But if you are installing an UPGRADE version there will always be... "needs to be an acceptable product" question " insert Disk".

Yes... there are alot of OEM software that will only load on one product/motherboard... but you officially own that windows version!!!... and thus have every right to use it as a UPGRADE "acceptable product".

But as I have seen, it can vary from OEM MFG'r to MFG'r... and sometimes contact with the MFG'r must be done, to obtain a physical version agian of that software licence disk, for using with other builds and upgrade Windows versions...

I have learned long ago, to buy full versions of all...
Hello... with my experience with all Windows versions... when you change the motherboard, you must re-install OS... and re-activated... all other parts can be changed... But that makes sense, when it comes to having the proper drivers needed for the motherboard... and not having drivers conflicting or causing problems.

This is assuming you are changing the motherboard to a newer/upgraded type.

zankuto

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

You cannot Reactivate a OEM disk on a different motherboard. I am asking if the upgrade changes the OEM license to a full retail license so I can then change the motherboard.

Hello...so... you are installing a full version of WINDOWS? if so there should be no X-referencing to the OEM... But if you are installing an UPGRADE version there will always be... "needs to be an acceptable product" question " insert Disk".

Yes... there are alot of OEM software that will only load on one product/motherboard... but you officially own that windows version!!!... and thus have every right to use it as a UPGRADE "acceptable product".

But as I have seen, it can vary from OEM MFG'r to MFG'r... and sometimes contact with the MFG'r must be done, to obtain a physical version agian of that software licence disk, for using with other builds and upgrade Windows versions...

I have learned long ago, to buy full versions of all software now... and have full freedom away from OEM disks..

Solution

zankuto

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

point taken. retail>oem period

Status
Not open for further replies.