Ianharvey777

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Hi

I read some of the threads on this but they didn't address my issue with XP3

Hi

I think the driver is good. 5.1.2525.0

I downloaded a new version and installed it and still no go.

Symptoms: DVD burner was fine worked, and then today vanished from the my computer window.

I've uninstalled through Device Manager, run Hardware wizard, it sees it but then flakes out saying there's a problem.

I'm thinking my next move is to physically disconnect the cable and then reboot and the shut down reinstall it and see it it picks it up.

But this is weird...the tray opens and closes as normal. I've run a scan for malware and run a PC Tune up.

Anyone got any ideas?

Or is the DVD just fried? It was working fine and I don;t use it that much these days but nice to have...

Ianharvey777

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Well. I don't know for sure the fix Ken Rivers posted was the trick. But I've been doing a bunch of updates and clean ups and suddenly the DVD drive is back!!!

No idea why it vanished and no idea why its back. But I do appreciate the tip. Thank you again'

Ianharvey777

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
That was one of my thoughts....but it doesn't get used that much these days with web downloads and USB keys...still a mystery. Anyway, replacing a DVD burner is a piece of cake and pretty affordable....if it disappears again I'm gonna yank it.
It may have something to do with iTunes...I was having issues with iTunes which kept crashing my PC and then AppleMobileServices.exe would suddenly start eating CPU and Memory...kept terminating it but it kept popping back.
Part of my clean up was to delete iTunes. Hate Apple anyway.