Sign in with
Your question

Kingston SSDNow V200+ 120GB speeds don't mach! Help please!

Last response: in Storage
June 7, 2012 9:54:09 AM

Hi everyone!
Recently I built a new pc system with Kingston SSDNow V200+ and Asrock z77 extreme4 mobo.

The problem is that the SSD hard drive , connected to SATA3 ports, shows only ~200mb/s write and read speeds!! it should be 535 and 480mb/s ?

Any solutions? I have read similar cases about this drive. Is it marketing trick or what??

And yes, I have SATA3 cable connected to drive and mobo SATA3 sockets (SATA3_0_1 grey ports)
a b G Storage
June 7, 2012 11:36:05 AM

What program are you using to test the speed?

This speed discrepancy seems to be a common theme. I'm pretty sure a lot of companies are using some theoretical max measurements when rating the speeds rather than running actual tests on a system like you or I would. Not trying to defend the companies, but variations in systems can really affect the actual speeds.

I would contact Kingston support and ask them why they advertise 535MB/s and you're only getting 200MB/s. Ask them what they use to test.
a b G Storage
June 7, 2012 11:55:22 AM

If you are using Crystal Disk Mark use zero fill when you test.
Related resources
June 7, 2012 12:32:32 PM

You may try disabling the Intel's power saving features like Speed step, C1E and C-State tech. I also faced similar performance problems when I bought my Intel 520 series 60gb SSD drive and disabling these power saving tech helped me a lot, so try that....
June 7, 2012 12:43:38 PM

Yes, I used Crystal Disk Mark.
Now tried with zero fill and now its ~ 480mb/s read and write. I guess its all ok, keeping in mind I tested when lightroom, Skype was open and running.
June 7, 2012 12:44:23 PM

spp85 said:
You may try disabling the Intel's power saving features like Speed step, C1E and C-State tech. I also faced similar performance problems when I bought my Intel 520 series 60gb SSD drive and disabling these power saving tech helped me a lot, so try that....

Where can i find >>> Speed step, C1E and C-State tech ???
June 7, 2012 12:58:01 PM

Jan4ix said:
Where can i find >>> Speed step, C1E and C-State tech ???

You can find that settings in your BIOS ;) 
a c 353 G Storage
June 7, 2012 2:23:23 PM

In stead of Crystal Disk mark, down load AS SSD, open it up (don't need to run the benchmarks (They will be low). BUT check and make sure the driver is correct For your system should be Intel's iaSTor), and that your partition is properly aligned.

What ubercake said politely, Manufs performance spec is for Sequencial read/writes and based on ATTO - Both pure Garbage.
1) ATTO was developed for HDDs and uses data that is readily compressable, quess what, this is far from real life.
2) Sequencial performance is the LEAST important matrix for a OS + Program SSD!!! It is the smali 4K random performance that is by far more important.

Why do manuf use this, simple LOOK great on BOX for advertizement. Just like advertizing a HDD as SATA III - Like SATA III is going to give you a performance Boost when a HDD does NOT saturate a SATA II interface.

I normally bench using AS SSD, and for comparision Look for a review that shows performance based on AS SSD As this is closer to real life. AND ignore the "lower than advertized" seq performance.

!