4TB WD caviar green/mybook in one drive?

arethusa

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
I have an old-ish macbook pro with a smallish hard drive (500GB), and older 2TB seagate extern and one of the newer USB3 3TB mybooks. Generally, I've always just bought the largest external I could at the time I buy it, but I've been waiting for a 4TB mybook for a while, and it hasn't come. I can't find anyone talking about this, and I'm running out of space and don't want to end up with three externals. That's just way too much cable swapping.

So, what's going on? No 4TB mybooks (those dual drive ones don't count) on the horizon? If I could afford the mac mybooks and just daisy chain firewire/thunderbolt, that would solve my problem, but those interfaces are too expensive for their own good. I'd kind of like to get a small raid external with a few bays, but nothing really comes close to being as cheap as the standard mybook (which adds maybe $10 to the cost of the drive, if that).

Any suggestions?

arethusa

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
But why has everyone been so slow to catch up? I figured we'd have a 4TB mybook by now.

Anyway, are there any affordable, decent external RAID or NAS setups? I'm under the impression that's just not possible without spending a lot more than I'd like, but maybe I'md wrong.