Oh crap, 2 ssd's will not respond

adambeau

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Let me preface by saying that I love computers but i tend to jump into new technology head first before i know much about it and it always causes me headaches later.

System:
Asrock 990fx Extreme 3 motherboard
amd phenom ii x6 @3.2
4x4gb g skill sniper 1866mhz
2x550ti in SLI
gt 430 (physx)

Drives:
Corsair force 3 series 120gb (working)
Ocz vertex 3 120gb (NTFS)
Samsung 830 series 128gb (NTFS)

I have windows loaded onto all 3 drives and yesterday prior to windows booting up it told me something was wrong with one of my drives and it needed to run a scan or whatever. I let it run (2 1/2 hours) and when it was finally done windows loaded and i opened up my computer to see both of my other drives labeled as NTFS. I tried to open them with no success (access denied!) so i tried to reboot onto them and all i got was a black screen where i could see my cursor.

I read a little online about switching from NTFS to FAT depending on certain situations but none really seemed to apply to what was happening to me. All i can think to do is format them and reload windows on each drive but i figured id check with the community before taking such measures.

Thanks for reading

Solution
Have Windows on your Samsung 830. Make sure the drive is in AHCI mode in your motherboard BIOS. You can "Quick" format the other 2 drives to NTFS.

Why do you have Windows installed on all 3 drives?

I know some people like to boot into different operating systems, so I could understand if you had Windows on 1 drive, Linux on the 2nd drive, and Apple OS X on the 3rd drive.

But what's the reasoning of having Windows on all 3?

adambeau

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
This is the first computer i have had with more than 1 hard drive, 1 of the ssd's will be going into my girlfriends computer when it is complete but as for the 3rd drive i have no real answer except that i don't know what im doing.

what is the optimal way to run multiple ssd's? windows on one drive and then what do i do with the second drive? just start installing *** to it?

regardless i need to make them work before i do any of your suggestions.

thanks for the help guys.

adambeau

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
assume this: corsair will not be in this rig for long.

I would like to boot from the samsung 830 and have a couple ocz (cheap$$) ssd's for storage. but right now it won't let me use either of these drives due to something i did accidentally.

i will definitely take any advice either of you can offer on what the best way to set up my storage configuration is! so dont be shy i take criticism really well if it helps me learn.

adambeau

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012

i am in ahci mode in the bios, i will reinstall windows on the samsung 830 and you just want me to right click the ocz drive an look for an option to format into NTFS? this should fix the problem of the drives being currently unusable?

Correct. Also follow rolli59's advice of just having the Samsung 830 connected when you install Windows.