Gigabyte ATI HD4890 crashes at overclocking

ionjohn

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hi

Everytime i try to overclock my graphic card with ccc, after maybe 5 or 10 minutes, it crashes while playing. The screen turns some kind of green then i have to restart my computer.

I have windows 7 64 bits
i5 750 2.6 ghz
4 gb of ram

Hd4890
GPU 850mhz
memory 975mhz

Overcloked
GPU 930mhz
memory 1030mhz

Sorry if my english is bad

That is a pretty high OC for that card unless you are increasing the voltage. Try 900Mhz on the GPU. Just because CCC is stable doesn't mean everything will be. I've had stable OC's that worked for months and then a GPU demanding game comes out and kills it.

Download OCCT and run the GPU test and run it for an hour if you REALLY want to test an OC. It will turn your card into a space heater, but will prove out you OC.
http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

ionjohn

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
i just tried it again overclocked at 930 and 1030, put the fan to 70%, when i checked it out, it was 65°C. It crashed after maybe 3 minutes, the screen turned gray, i could still hear the sound of the game. I had to restart the computer as usually

okay im trying this jay

Leave it at 900 for a while and see where you are at. You can try 910, but OCing is like babysitting a 7 year old with ADHD. You have to keep watching it and even though everything seems fine for a while, it could spaz out anytime. 900 is a nice round number. You can probably get 1050 or more on the memory. I like round numbers to work with, OCD kicks in.

Try OCCT's GPU stress test for an hour, turn on error checking to. 900/1050 seems like a solid OC.

TRENDING THREADS