Sign in with
Your question

Need help making a choice - PLEASE

Last response: in CPUs
July 5, 2010 3:58:53 AM

Hi!

This seems to be the best place to post this since my decision on a system is based on the CPUs performance vs. Price.

I have been here as a reader many times but this is my first question worth posting.

My first option is a Velocity Micro mx235 with the i7 860 processor 2.8 GHz, 1GB NVIDIA GTS250 Graphics ($1269)
Is it worth the price difference over the MX230 with the i5 processor $1139? It has a 896MB NVIDIA GTX260 graphics card. Both have 6GB of ram (although the type of ram could be different?)

What about the velocity micro mx340 at $1,399.49 with an Intel Core i7-750 2.8GHz processor. One of the main differences I see is the graphics card; 1GB ATI 5770 graphics. Is it worth the extra cost. Would anyone recommend anything else? I like the reviews on their support and I like that it is U.S. based!

I read that there are two different i7 processors with 2 different MBS? Anything I should look out for?

Is Turbo Boost a real benefit if not gaming? (Photo Shop, Website building, You Tube, Word, etc).

What about hyper threading?

Best regards,

Ben

More about : making choice

a c 131 à CPUs
July 5, 2010 4:22:56 AM

If you are just using photoshop, webite building, youtube and word, you do not need to spend over $1000 on a computer and you certainly do not need a mid-range graphics card like the 250, 260 or 5770.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2010 7:17:38 AM

Yes, first you need to prioritise your usage - gaming or anything else.
m
l
Related resources
July 6, 2010 2:28:10 PM

enzo matrix said:
If you are just using photoshop, webite building, youtube and word, you do not need to spend over $1000 on a computer and you certainly do not need a mid-range graphics card like the 250, 260 or 5770.

So I take it that there is no benefit to the better CPU (i5 or i7) unless gaming?

I always like to have the best - but if is a waste of money...

Isn't the i3 more likely to be obsolete, down the road?
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 2:41:02 PM

Do you game? if not, then all those systems are Overkill, if you game then the 5770 in the mx340 is the best option, assuming you can build it yourself!

Otherwise, $800 will get you the same performance in what you want to do and that will be Overkill in any case!

Seriously, phenom IIx2 or Athlon x4 on Integrated Gpu 790g mobo with 4gb DDR 1333mhz ram will do you fine! Such a system $500
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 4:48:35 PM

aware1 said:
So I take it that there is no benefit to the better CPU (i5 or i7) unless gaming?

I always like to have the best - but if is a waste of money...

Isn't the i3 more likely to be obsolete, down the road?

Well in this case, the best of the best is overkill for your actual needs. I would suggest, get a midrange system, spend some part of the savings on an SSD (this would improve performance in all applications). Keep the rest of the savings in the bank, a couple of years down the line, upgrade. This will ensure that you keep abreast of the latest tech.
And no, for general usage, the i3 won't be obsolete any sooner (it will comfortably last you atleast a couple of years).
m
l
July 6, 2010 10:34:19 PM

Thank-you!

An SSD is a solid state HD? Get that instead of - or in addition to a SATA drive? and WHY?

So you feel that the i3 will be upgradable? No MB change?

Is it better to put the money to more ram?
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
July 7, 2010 2:04:06 AM

An SSD is a solid state HD? Get that instead of - or in addition to a SATA drive? and WHY?
SSDs are very expensive. You're looking at $200 for a good 60GB one. If you need more space than that, get one SSD and a 1TB hard drive for a total of $300.
And no they are not solid state hard drives, they are solid state drives. Flash memory, like your ram, but slower and retain their memory when you turn off the power.

So you feel that the i3 will be upgradable? No MB change?
Nothing is really for sure upgradable. Look at socket 775, in some cases, it is better to get a new motherboard and CPU than to upgrade directly from a core 2 duo or pentium dual core.
But technically, yes. In the future, provided the parts are still available, you can upgrade to a core i7 quad core with hyperthreading and 4 cores.

Is it better to put the money to more ram?
Better to put it into ram as opposed to what? And how much ram? Anything over 4GB is usually a waste for most today, more than 8GB is a waste in the next year or two.
m
l
July 7, 2010 3:08:08 AM

1. Why is it best to get an SSD as suggested?

2. I thought that some i7 MBs were already different than some i7s out there, right? SO upgrading to an i5 is probably possible but the i7 - maybe not?

Maybe you were talking about upgrading the MB too?

3. I was asking if upgrading RAM is better than putting cash into a bigger processor. Most people always seem to talk this way.

4. What do you mean exactly by 8MB being a wasted in a year or two?

THANKS!!

m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
July 7, 2010 8:05:55 PM

aware1 said:
1. Why is it best to get an SSD as suggested?

2. I thought that some i7 MBs were already different than some i7s out there, right? SO upgrading to an i5 is probably possible but the i7 - maybe not?

Maybe you were talking about upgrading the MB too?

3. I was asking if upgrading RAM is better than putting cash into a bigger processor. Most people always seem to talk this way.

4. What do you mean exactly by 8MB being a wasted in a year or two?

THANKS!!

1. An SSD has access times of 0.1ms or less vs hard drive between 8ms and 10ms (including the velociraptor). They also have faster small file reads and writes (eg, a 4k test)

2. No. I mean i7. The i7 8xx series are on socket 1156 the fastest being the 880 at 3.06GHz.

3. I would say yes, to the limit of 4GB. After that, in most cases, the faster CPU would be better. Basically, you need to get as much ram as you will use, any more is simply wasted and will not benefit performance.

4. I said 8GB. Right now for most users, 4GB is wasted. in like 2006, anything over 1GB was usually wasted. And I'm guessing in the next year or two, we'll start getting into the 8GB as standard.
m
l
!