bat123man

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Hi,

I have an Intel X-25M 80 GB SSD with Win7 64-bit installed as my boot drive. I also have an ASUS P5N-E SLI motherboard which apparently does not support AHCI. I have been running my SSD using the Nvidia nForce Serial ATA controller driver, which means when I look at the Intel SSD in Device Manager, it comes up as a SCSI device. I recently downloaded the Intel SSD Toolbox, and found it could not identify my Intel drive. Searching on Google led to a post whereby I was instructed to change the IDE/ATA ATAPI Controller driver to "Standard Dual-Channel PCI IDE Controller". That worked, the Intel toolbox now correctly identified my SSD drive. However, Device Manager now simply identifies it as "Disk Drive" whereas before it used to have the Intel name and model number.

How do I know which way is better? Obviously the best would be a new mobo which supports AHCI, but that is not an option at the moment.

Solution

Sorry, I don't know. I believe you'll probably get better performance with the default Microsoft drivers.
You'll have to benchmark with each driver to see which gives you better performance.

Yes, Gparted or Paragon Alignment Tool will work. Backup any needed data as a precaution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9-5rQ89sXs

bat123man

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007

2). AS SSD Benchmark is reporting that my offset is 31KB. How do I change this without reinstalling the OS?

Thanks,
BM.

bat123man

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Yes, I agree, I can't put the drive into AHCI mode according to the Asus forum because my mobo does not offer that support. However, in Device Manager, I do see this :

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 1
ATA Channel 1
NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller <------
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

I have no idea where that AHCI controller comes from, unless it is from the external e-SATA port on the back panel. It seems to imply that I can get AHCI support for my SSD, but I don't think that is the case.

So assuming I can't get AHCI support, am I better off with the NVidia driver and it thinking the drive is SCSI, or with the default Microsoft IDE controller driver?

Also, I found this site :
http://lifehacker.com/5837769/make-sure-your-partitions-are-correctly-aligned-for-optimal-solid-state-drive-performance

That bootable CD with GParted seems to be the way to go, but can I perform the operation listed on my Primary Boot partition? Am just worried that if I move the partition, I will pooch my computer.

Thanks,
BM.

Sorry, I don't know. I believe you'll probably get better performance with the default Microsoft drivers.
You'll have to benchmark with each driver to see which gives you better performance.

Yes, Gparted or Paragon Alignment Tool will work. Backup any needed data as a precaution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9-5rQ89sXs

Solution

TRENDING THREADS