Sign in with
Your question

Need thoughts on parts for a Budget build

Last response: in Systems
April 27, 2010 5:08:15 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Over the next month

BUDGET RANGE: ~$500 (Before rebates since I hate them)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, movies, VMs

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg/Amazon

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USofA

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD Athlon II X4 630 -- nVidia

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900 (dual monitors both running same)

I am working on a budget build that will be based around my CPU. Here is what I have so far:

CPU:
AMD Athlon II X4 630

GPU:
Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 <- ATI isn't my first choice when it comes to vid cards but from the research I really couldn't beat this card for the price

Case:
NZXT Beta EVO Mid Tower

HD:
WD Caviar Green 1tb HD

PSU:
COOLMAX M-500

Now the problem I am finding is a suitable motherboard. I see a lot of mATX boards, but I was hoping for a normal sized one that was around ~$75-80 price range which seems to be hard for me to find. Once I can figure out a motherboard I won't have a problem with finding ram.

The system will be used for some gaming, runing VMs and tooling around with various other hobbies.

Any opionions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
April 27, 2010 5:12:24 PM

You may want to look at the guidelines. We need to know what exactly you want to spend and what parts you already have.

Do NOT get that PSU. It's a POS. You really need to get some quality in that component. I wouldn't get any unit that's not made by Corsair, Antec, Silverstone or SeaSonic. Here's a good case/PSU combo: Antec VSK-2000 and Earthwatts 430W for $65 after rebate.

That HDD is really slow. I highly recommend getting either the Seagate 7200.12 1 TB or Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB. Or even the 500 GB models.

Frankly, the 5670 is a waste of money for gaming. It's just not powerful enough. You'd do better getting an HD 4670 or 4850.

A good motherboard (assuming you don't want to Crossfire) is the Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3.
Related resources
April 27, 2010 5:28:45 PM

Okay, I edited the original post to meet the requirements. You correct that I will not be using crossfire since I do not do not need that much power for my gaming.

Thank you for the heads up on the HD, from looking at it, I didn't think it was that slow but I will go towards the Seagate one instead.

Thats a great mb choice, for some reason it must of slipped past me while I was looking.

Well from what I have read I will look into that case as well as others. Thank you
April 27, 2010 5:43:30 PM

After doing a little research about the 5670 vs the 4670, unless I am mistaken the 5670 seems to be the better card. Or am I missing something?
April 27, 2010 5:53:54 PM

The 5670 performs about as well as the 4670. The extra features (and cost) don't really do anything. Since you're looking at the ~$90 price range, I'd grab any of the following for better performance: HD 4850 512 MB, 4770 (I didn't think they still sold this...), or 9800 GT. Or the 4670 for similar performance at a lower price.

Don't be fooled by the higher number. ATI released a whole line of 5xxx series cards that were underpowered compared to their respective 4xxx series cards. Even the 5750 and 5770 are less powerful than the cards they replaced, but it's not enough to make a huge difference and their benefits out weigh that slight power loss.

Ideally, I'd like to recommend stepping up to the HD 4850 1 GB or 4870, but that's probably not in the budget.
April 27, 2010 6:08:35 PM

Yeah as much as I would like to, I really can't justify the costs involved with those cards. I don't play FPS games on the PC since the majority of my gaming takes place on my PS3. But I just recently got back into Eve-online and have been known to play RTS games on the PC. I will look at those cards when I get home later tonight.

Thank you for the insight and the help.
!