SATA DVD stops computer from turning on

GEPadres

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
I have an ASUS 6PT Deluxe with a Core i7-920 CPU and 6GB DDR3. I have a 750GB and 1TB SATA drives connected. I also have a GT 250 NVIDIA Graphics card. I have an LG Blu-Ray RW and an HP CD/DVD RW. My computer turns on and boots to Windows 7 without issues ONLY if neither DVD player is plugged in. If I plug in the DVD players (just one or both) the computer lights up for 1 second and shuts off.

I have tried for the past week to figure this out and am stumped. Oh, my PSU is 1,000 watts.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Side note: This came up because my fan was failing on CPU, so I replaced it with a radiator cooler. All works fine, but now, it won't turn on when the DVD is plugged with a power cable. If I leave it connected with SATA connector, computer turns on and boots to Windows 7 and I can see the DVD in Computer window, but can't access it (no power to eject). I have reset my BIOS, pulled out the battery and reset the CMOS jumper.

Again - thanks!

Solution

If it doesn't even POST then it's got to be your PSU. If your PSU is modular do you have an empty/extra slot/plug that you can connect the DVD SATA power connector to?

GEPadres

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
I will try the drives in another computer and see what happens. As for the cooler (Antec Kuhler H20 620), there is no leaks and it is on securely and connected properly - no shorts there. I believe this is strictly a DVD drive issue. Another possibility, unlikely, is that the PSU is the issue, but it only shuts off when a CD/DVD drive is plugged in. I have tried 3 different CD/DVD drives.

As I said, I will try the DVD in another computer as well as trying to reset the BIOS. In my BIOS, there is no LOAD or OPTIMIZE option anywhere, so I pulled the battery and put it back in.

GEPadres

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
OK - I tested the DVD drives in another computer and ALL of them work and don't prevent computer from turning on or booting up.

When I connect them (one at a time) to my computer, the computer turns on and immediately turns off, doesn't even POST. Again, only if power plugged in. Will turn on with SATA data cable and the DVD shows up in Computer but can't be used.

Could it be PSU? It's a 3 month old 1000watt by Rosewill.

If it doesn't even POST then it's got to be your PSU. If your PSU is modular do you have an empty/extra slot/plug that you can connect the DVD SATA power connector to?

Solution

GEPadres

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Dereck47 - didn't even think about it being a modular issue. I tested every node, as suggested and nothing changed. I think it may be the actual SATA power cable. I unplugged my 2nd HDD and plugged in DVD Writer and the system turned on without issues. I will be going to Fry's later and buying a new modular SATA power cable.