Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Mushkin Chronos Deluxe or Samsung 830?

Last response: in Storage
June 7, 2012 8:33:11 PM

I've seen a lot of threads comparing the Crucial M4 and Samsung 830 drives, and in most "which should I buy" and open recommendation threads I see the Samsung 830 line as the top recommendation. So my question is relatively simple: What separates the Samsung 830 line apart from all others?

Right now the 128 GB Samsung 830 is on sale for $140 on both Newegg and Amazon. Newegg's sale expires today and who knows when Amazon changes their prices all the time. The 120GB version of the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe (not the Deluxe MX, which only uses Synchronous NAND Flash memory) version is still just under $200 on both Newegg and Amazon. The 240 GB version is a much more reasonable $230 in both locations. I'm hoping to keep overall costs down (and still include a quality SSD) in my wife's IB build, so I'm hoping 120 GB will work for a system drive (Win7, Office apps, web browsing, and possibly some occasional light gaming in LoL will be the most common uses). Storage will be on a recycled HDD.

Given that information, what separates the Samsung 830 from the Mushkin Deluxe line? Performance differences will be minimal, if even noticeable, but what about quality/durability?

I've already started buying the parts for my wife's computer and plan to accumulate them by the end of June, so I'm pretty confident I won't see a better deal before I need to buy the SSD.
a b G Storage
June 8, 2012 3:17:54 AM

Both SSD's are pretty good. Samsung is more well known compared to Mushkin. Actually, in terms of reliability Intel, Crucial, Samsung, Plextor are known. It doesn't matter which one you get. They all perform well, including a Mushkin.
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
a c 261 G Storage
June 8, 2012 5:35:59 PM

I bought the Mushkin Enhanced Cronos and it is now a great buy for $95. For her usage there is not going to be any noticeable performance difference but the Crucial M4 and Samsung 830 have a better reliability record than sandforce drives though Intel still is considered most reliable regardless of them using sandforce.
m
l
Related resources
a b Ô Samsung
a c 87 G Storage
June 8, 2012 5:52:49 PM

I have two Chronos Deluxe SSDs of my own and a total of 4 in the household. They're terrific for the price and there's no noticeable performance difference between them and anything else. They also have a beefy warranty
m
l
June 8, 2012 6:04:32 PM

fyi, mushikin is out of colorado, and have world class support, advanced rma and ask a question in the mushkin forum and have it answered in minutes by a staff member.
m
l
June 8, 2012 6:20:47 PM

I, too, have a few of the Mushkins. No regrets.
m
l
June 12, 2012 3:32:29 PM

the great randini said:
fyi, mushikin is out of colorado, and have world class support, advanced rma and ask a question in the mushkin forum and have it answered in minutes by a staff member.

I did not know they were a US-based company. Do you know if they are also manufactured in the USA?
m
l

Best solution

a b Ô Samsung
a c 261 G Storage
June 12, 2012 3:37:38 PM

Isaiah4110 said:
I did not know they were a US-based company. Do you know if they are also manufactured in the USA?

It says on mine assembled in US but I have a suspicion all the parts are made elsewhere and assembly might just mean packaging. If the whole thing was made in the US we would be paying a higher price.
June 25, 2012 4:33:36 PM

Best answer selected by Isaiah4110.
m
l
June 25, 2012 4:33:38 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I actually caught a killer Newegg deal on a 128GB Samsung 830 for $90 a week and a half ago, so that made my decision for me.

All the info provided was very helpful though, and for my next build I'll likely be going with whichever drive has the best price at the time.
m
l
January 2, 2013 10:25:24 PM

Hello ppl...

Now that I am home I am building a new rig, and based on some advice I just ordered a Mushkin 240GB SSD. Is there anything I should be concerned with? Is there a particular way to set these up? as opposed to my old Raptor 10,000rpm and 15,000rpm hard drive.

Corsair C70 Vengence Tower
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2
AMD FX 8350
Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler
HyperX 16 GB memory
m
l
January 2, 2013 10:59:56 PM

aircav1964 said:
Hello ppl...

Now that I am home I am building a new rig, and based on some advice I just ordered a Mushkin 240GB SSD. Is there anything I should be concerned with? Is there a particular way to set these up? as opposed to my old Raptor 10,000rpm and 15,000rpm hard drive.

Corsair C70 Vengence Tower
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2
AMD FX 8350
Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler
HyperX 16 GB memory

In short, there are no problems I know of with Mushkin as a brand, and yes there are some recommended tweaks when setting up an SSD in a new system. I highly recommend reading through the articles linked in the Useful SSD Articles thread and starting a new thread if you still have questions after that. Feel free to send me a PM to let me know once you have done so and I'll be happy to drop in on the thread you create and help answer your questions. (I obviously just set up a new system with an SSD myself).
m
l
!