CPU over heated Should I replace the Motherboard or CPU

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
  • Memory
Last response: in CPUs
July 5, 2010 6:36:03 AM

My computer
will not boot up. I have a totally black screen, no keyboard, but the num and caps lights flash when first turned for a short while but eventually will freeze. I do not get any beeping when the computer is first trying to boot. The mother board is an Asus. P5B-VM Rev 1.xx Bus Clock: 200 megahertz and the BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0307 09/01/2006. The processor is a 3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium D
with 16 kilobyte primary memory cache and 2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache. It has two 1024 MB memory chips. I have tested the following:
1. Tried each memory chip one at a time in all four slots. Even tried a identical memory chip from another computer.
2. I have tried a different keyboard, power supply, on board battery, and monitor.
3. I have tried the hard drive in an identical computer and it boots correctly.
I think I have eliminated everything possible except the mother board and CPU. My question is, how can I determine which one is the problem or is it both of them? A possible cause of the problem is that when I first started working on the system the cooling fan for the CPU and separated away the CPU and I detected a slight burning odor.

More about : cpu heated replace motherboard cpu

a b à CPUs
July 5, 2010 7:21:56 AM

you might just want to replace both, since finding either one is likely to be more expensive than getting both new, with new generation stuff.

tell me if you consider this, and what your budget would be. Ill help you out.
Score
a c 203 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
July 5, 2010 7:55:52 AM

bneppler1 said:
A possible cause of the problem is that when I first started working on the system the cooling fan for the CPU and separated away the CPU and I detected a slight burning odor.
Do you mean that the whole CPU cooling assembly (heatsink and fan) came off the CPU while it was running?
Score
Related resources
July 5, 2010 5:25:20 PM

WR2 said:
Do you mean that the whole CPU cooling assembly (heatsink and fan) came off the CPU while it was running?

Yes the heatsink and and fan had separated. I reseated the heatsink and fan but it still would not boot up. I checked the motherboard as best as I could looking for blown capacitors but found none and could not see any burn spots on the motherboard. Is there any way that a CPU can be bench tested? Thanks for taking the time to answer my post. This is the first time I have ever used a community post and have found it to be help[full.

Bill E
Score
a c 120 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
July 5, 2010 5:46:02 PM

I'm voting that the burning smell was the magic smoke escaping :( 
Best bet, and most cost efficient I'm afraid is new pc time as Xbeater said
Moto
Score
July 5, 2010 6:08:33 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
I'm voting that the burning smell was the magic smoke escaping :( 
Best bet, and most cost efficient I'm afraid is new pc time as Xbeater said
Moto

I am leaning towards just replacing the CPU and see if that will cure the problem. My question is that if it does not cure the problem will I do any harm to the new CPU and then can I use it in a new compatible motherboard?
Score
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2010 6:46:37 PM

bneppler1 said:
I am leaning towards just replacing the CPU and see if that will cure the problem. My question is that if it does not cure the problem will I do any harm to the new CPU and then can I use it in a new compatible motherboard?

mate, a new CPU of that kind is probably going to cost you just as much as a new cpu and motherboard of the current generation, let alone good luck finding an old pentium D. I'd just replace both. It might cost you a bit more, but youll have a new system. That old mother board that "might" just still work, might just be at the point of dying, and then after you buy the new cpu and it works, 2 months later the motherboard dies. just spend the bit extra now, and be safe, no risk.

not to mention, if you buy a new Pentium D, and it does not work...... money gone!

I hope I've made my case
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 5, 2010 7:12:31 PM

You could try getting a new CPU, looking at your motherboard specs you could get a Core 2 Duo, here in the UK you can get one for around £20 working.

Or try eBay for a Pentium D, you should be able to pick up an 800 series for less than £10 or $20 if your in the US.
a c 120 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
July 5, 2010 7:26:15 PM

I'd agree with xbeater tbh, if your spending anything on it, Mobo AND proc, it should give you an upgrade you'll be happy with and we'll help you with any questions on the build ofc :) 
Moto
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 5, 2010 7:33:39 PM

Get an AMD dual core and mobo for less than $99!
Score
July 25, 2010 11:49:59 PM

Best answer selected by bneppler1.
Score