Solved

Pulling plug on computer

Hey everyone, I wanted to see what my case looks like when the led fans are working so I decided to plug the power supply into the wall socket and power it up. I don't have a processor in it, but I have everything else connected, mobo Gigabyte x58a-UD3r, cd drive, hard drive, xfx 5770. The lancool k62 fans were on for 2 seconds, and then the whole setup would "restart" and turn on again. It would continually do that, so I figured it was bad and I open the circuits on the PSU. I have a corsair TX750W. So being a stupid teenager, I tried it AGAIN, but this time i pulled the plug from the PSU side of the cable. Please note in mind that I opened the circuit and pulled the plug when everything looked off. Is this bad for any components of my build? Again, the fans and mobo lights would be on for about 2 seconds, turn off for 2 seconds and then turn on... etc. I opened the circuits on the psu the first time when it was "off" and I pulled the plug on the psu the 2nd time when it was off.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about pulling plug computer
  1. Best answer
    It's not a good thing to do. But I also think you probably didn't do any damage.
    The power on self test (POST) detected a problem (no CPU) and tried a restart.

    Don't do that again. Save your testing till after you've installed the CPU.
  2. Alright great, and yea I was thinking that post was doing its business. I can't believe I did it a total of 3 times D: I don't think I could have turned off my computer any other way though
  3. Also, another question. Does the power supply itself prevent against any power mishaps?
  4. Yes it does.
    If you look at the Corsair TX home page you'll see the PSU has:
    "Over Current/Voltage/Power Protection, Under Voltage Protection, and Short Circuit Protection provide maximum safety to your critical system components. "
  5. That's not quite the same thing as saying bad things can't happen if you hook stuff up wrong or run it in a non-standard condition.
  6. WR2 said:
    That's not quite the same thing as saying bad things can't happen if you hook stuff up wrong or run it in a non-standard condition.

    I'm a little confused on what you just said. Sorry for causing all this trouble, 1st time build and I'm a little sick too
  7. Be careful. Read the instructions till you understand them - then do the installations.
    Here is a guide to things that can go wrong and how to avoid or correct them. "System won't boot" and "no video output" checklist
  8. spartan1o5 said:
    Hey everyone, I wanted to see what my case looks like when the led fans are working so I decided to plug the power supply into the wall socket and power it up. I don't have a processor in it, but I have everything else connected, mobo Gigabyte x58a-UD3r, cd drive, hard drive, xfx 5770. The lancool k62 fans were on for 2 seconds, and then the whole setup would "restart" and turn on again. It would continually do that, so I figured it was bad and I open the circuits on the PSU. I have a corsair TX750W. So being a stupid teenager, I tried it AGAIN, but this time i pulled the plug from the PSU side of the cable. Please note in mind that I opened the circuit and pulled the plug when everything looked off. Is this bad for any components of my build? Again, the fans and mobo lights would be on for about 2 seconds, turn off for 2 seconds and then turn on... etc. I opened the circuits on the psu the first time when it was "off" and I pulled the plug on the psu the 2nd time when it was off.

    Hi
    This restarting thing is normal. when i ran my msi x58 pro-e without my i7 920, it went on a non-stop restart loop. so had to remove the power cable of hold the internal power button for 10secs and the mobo stopped. hope i helped.
  9. lordszone said:
    Hi
    This restarting thing is normal. when i ran my msi x58 pro-e without my i7 920, it went on a non-stop restart loop. so had to remove the power cable of hold the internal power button for 10secs and the mobo stopped. hope i helped.

    OH nice! I don't get what you mean by "so had to remove the power cable of hold the internal power button for 10secs and the mobo stopped. hope i helped."
    You removed the power cable OR hold internal power button? Glad to know the motherboard was doing its job, I still wonder if I caused any big problems. hopefully not, we will find out wednesday when I get my 930! Any potential problems I should look out for?
  10. spartan1o5 said:
    I still wonder if I caused any big problems. hopefully not, we will find out wednesday when I get my 930! Any potential problems I should look out for?
    What you did isn't so different from a normal power on. Except that part about the missing CPU.
    If you've reviewed like above for the most common 'gotchas' you'll be in good shape I think.

    lordszone's MSI X58 Pro-E has reset and power buttons on the motherboard. A feature your GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R doesnt have.
  11. Yup! I got all the things down so far except for the ram and cpu checks. Thanks a lot WR2 and Lord, you guys helped me out a lot.
  12. Best answer selected by spartan1o5.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components