Amd Thuban Hexacore for gaming builds?

The simple answer is NO.

Do not drop one of these in for a gaming rig.
Crysis%20GTX%20480.png

tecmo34

Administrator
One can say the same for Crysis. Even newer and better tech hasn't been able to improve the gaming performance. It has basically been deemed a "benchmark tool" versus a playable game. I'll have to find the chart but the II X6 wins in Bad Company Battlefield2 (or review any post by JennyH in the CPU section today :) ), which utilizes multiple cores.

Yadumadoda

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
It doesn't "fail." Most games don't utilize all 6 cores, so obviously, it won't be the best. So maybe it the i7's beat it by a few fps, but in reality, nobody really cares too much about those few fps. People freak out because they don't see the difference between the fps in those benchmarks, because it could from 0.5-3 fps.
Sorry if it sounds like I'm raging, I'm not really :p.

But as you can see, Crysis here is an exception. I don't think it'll effect too many people, just the dissatisfaction people will get when they benchmark. I personally never thought of the X6 as a gaming CPU anyways. I think I might get it as I render videos a lot and I use Photoshop also.

tecmo34

Administrator

I agree :)

The whole 890FX platform didn't live up to what I was expecting for AMD's hex-core. And I was ready to jump to the Phenom II X6 for my next build... now, I'm still leaning toward Intel.

When you'r new flagship 300$ loses to a 120$ CPU form your competitor by a massive margin, you have failed eppicaly.

Untitled3-1.jpg

Untitled2-1.jpg

Untitled-30.jpg

total.png

By your logic if your flagship USD $1000++ chip (Gulftown 980X) does not crush your competitor's $75 chip (Rana 435) in games where resolution/settings match the exact reason why u sank $300 on a GPU does that qualify as an epic fail? Toms stated i7 for a gaming rig as "Past the Point of Reason" in its "Best Gaming CPUs for the money" reviews for a reason- a half decent chip (no u dun even need an X4) and as much teeth in the GPU area would get you the best $$/frames period @@ Having built for normal joes out in the streets with somewhat humbler budgets than most, the assumption that we all need super expensive CPUs with 4 x PCIex16 laned mobos just to play games is beyond me :p Just get an X3, a HD 5770-5850 (hit it where it counts) depending on resolution and an 80+ certified 500-600 watter with active PFC , single GPU set up - game on!