Gateway battery problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
September 24, 2004 12:49:25 AM

I have an old gateway solo 2000 laptop, i've fitted a standard battery to
the system and all seemed well (battery was charging etc) I ran the gateway
battery learning utility and since then the laptop wont boot via the battery
even though the light on the front is green and windows 2000 says its 100%
charged.Anyone have any ideas whether I can 'fix' this or if the batteries
now dead.

Thanks in advance

Tony
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 24, 2004 12:49:26 AM

tony wrote:
> I have an old gateway solo 2000 laptop, i've fitted a standard
> battery to the system and all seemed well (battery was charging etc)
> I ran the gateway battery learning utility and since then the laptop
> wont boot via the battery even though the light on the front is green
> and windows 2000 says its 100% charged.Anyone have any ideas whether
> I can 'fix' this or if the batteries now dead.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Tony

The Gateway Battery Learning Utility has no effect on the battery
itself. Its only purpose is to recalibrate the 100% charge level
reported by the OS as the chargeable level decreases with age. IOW, a
battery that can take only 20% of as-new charge will be reported as 100%
charged at that 20%. AFIK, if it is run on a new battery that
initially was not charged more than 50% of as-new charge capacity, it
will not prevent the battery from charging to 100% of as-new charge
capacity.

The utility determines the total charging capacity by discharging the
battery to nearly zero charge - *real* zero charge compared to the
minimum 10-20% of *useable* charge where the zero useable charge is
perhaps 10-20% of as-new charge - that voltage minimum below which the
voltage falls to real zero very rapidly and below which the computer
will not operate. The problem with this is that an old, nearly dead
battery can be discharged to a state where it cannot readily be
recharged. This might be the case with your battery.

What is a "standard battery"? Is it a new battery from Gateway, a new
third-party battery or what? If it is a lithium-ion battery more that
two or three years old, it is likely that the battery is simply dead.

How long did the battery provide operating power before you ran the
utility?

September 24, 2004 10:23:04 AM

To be frank I only tested the battery to check to see if it was holding
charge so I just did a boot of windows left it for five minutes then did a
shutdown, I just thought it strange that after the calibration nothing. I
was given the battery by a friend so it is a few years old (cant say exactly
how old) the battery specs are:
Manufacturer Sanyo
Model number UR 18650
Cell weight 39g
Volumetric energy density 283 Wh/l
Gravimetric energy density 120 Wh/kg
Voltage 3.6 volts
Capacity 1400 mAH

In a nutshell I think you may be saying its dead, I suppose I could use it
as a paperweight.