This is in Windows XP professional. I changed the monitor setting from by
right cliking on the decktop and using the menu there. After trying two
different options for the monitor the screen got black. Now I cannot change
it back because it is black and I cannot see anything. I know the pc is
working because when I turn off the computer and then on again it show the
intro screen and then it get black. How can I reset the setting without
seeing and withour messing up with information in the pc? thanks.

Try starting in Safe Mode and then make the necessary changes.

1. (Re)start your computer.
2. When the machine first starts again it will generally list some
equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard
drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key
repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options
menu.
3. Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
4. Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
5. Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back
into normal mode.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes