coming to about 1800
1) I suppose I'm really just concerned about the i7, is the i9 coming any time soon? is it WORTH it to buy this chip now?
2) Is there currently a large difference between the 6.0 sata and 3.0 western digital HDDs? I have read somewhere the difference isn't noticeable...but the 6.0gb/s drive is only 5 dollars more than the 3.0, worth the jump up?
3) Also, if anyone knows, the XFX part number is listed as xxxx-xxx-ZAFC, but when i go to compare on xfx's site, ZAFC doesn't even exist for 5850's. There IS a ZAFV, thinking it could be a typo? I tried emailing them but didn't get a response. Anyone know the difference between the ZAFC and the other standard editions? e.g. ZNFC//ZNF7//ZAFV?
I don't like the lack of descriptive differences between a 300+$ part!
1.) Not really. Intel's already announced the next sockets.
2.) Yes, but not because of the SATA III. The SATA III drives use 500 GB platters instead of smaller ones. It's still not advisable, as the Seagate 7200.12 and Samsung Spinpoint F3 are just as fast and between $30 and $40 cheaper.
3.) No idea. But if you're looking at spending $1,800, you're looking at the HD 5970, not the 5850...
look at the enthusiast extreme---changed the video card, used a better/newer SSD, came out 300 dollars cheaper--enough to at least put towards whatever next series video card within the next year and a half.
1) Yes... It is a good time to build (i7 980X [what was originally know as the i9], i7 930, i5 750 & Phenom II X6's ...) MadAdmiral stated about the new sockets in 2011 sometime but are you willing to wait? Remember, there is always something new coming out ever few months, so don't get in a cycle of waiting... You'll never buy.
2) MadAdmiral covered it perfectly
3) I would say it is a typo on Neweggs part... Most would recommend GPU power first than SSD, which is why MadAdmiral said 5970. I would add the SSD 2nd, unless you plan to Crossfire soon afterwards than your option has some merit.
xfire is a viable option but looking back the 5 and 4000's are only a year apart, with the 5000s out for half a year. My monitor is maxed at 1680 x 1050; I feel like a 5850 will serve me more than fine for now, wouldn't more power be more useful at higher resolutions?
I have a 20.1" dell ultrasharp and the 24" is like 519...i dont know, I feel like things are fine at 20 inches and 500 bucks for 4 more inches seems too much to me. I think I spoiled myself with the ultrasharp when I got it because I dont want a bigger-but-lesser-quality screen.......