Sign in with
Your question

Help Canceling XP Installation

Last response: in Windows XP
January 12, 2013 4:07:33 PM

I halfwittingly decided to re-install windows xp on my computer, half-way through the installation I realized I did not have the correct discs. How do I cancel this installation? I've tried F3 on the installation screen, F8 brings up a seemingly useless boot menu, and safe-mode will not work due to the lack of an OS installed. I have windows 7 discs at the ready if this makes your task and simpler.

More about : canceling installation

January 12, 2013 7:56:06 PM

jonahlschwartz said:
I halfwittingly decided to re-install windows xp on my computer, half-way through the installation I realized I did not have the correct discs. How do I cancel this installation? I've tried F3 on the installation screen, F8 brings up a seemingly useless boot menu, and safe-mode will not work due to the lack of an OS installed. I have windows 7 discs at the ready if this makes your task and simpler.

I have done this once or twice from the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows with the application RegResWiz (Registry Restore Wizard)... It shows different dates to which you can restore the Windows XP registry.. it's not guaranteed that it will be able to restore your Windows particularly if your system didn't save registry dates to which to restore to... but if it did, the only setback may be that you may lose the data saved from the last date available to the present.

Some Live CDs have the option to add your own applications so it doesn't necessarily have to be the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows, the only application you need is the Registry Restore Wizard if you can run it from any Live CD, and even from another installed Windows on another hard drive or disk partition, so the options are several depending on what you are able to do. Live CDs usually have a Partition Manager included so you even have the option to partition your hard drive and install a new copy of Windows XP or Windows 7 from which you can execute the Registry Restore Wizard... and if you already have another partition available you have most of the work done.

Registry Restore Wizard Download links

RegResWiz Official Download Site
!