Last response: in CPUs
July 5, 2010 10:46:01 AM

1st some specs:
1.8ghz E2160 Intel (2 CPU) Dual Core
2G Ram
350W Power Supply
32mb Sis Mirage Graphics graphic card
Intel Stock fan

Well my cpu isnt overclocked or anything...
and 1st core gets up to 72c,
and 2nd core gets up to like 69c
and im just surfing the internet and downloading stuff...
no games are even running
how is this possible?!

P.S. im buying a Radeon 5670HD 512mb graphic card this week, and will my cpu handle it?
i mean if i get 72c by just surfing the web, how much will i get while playing crysis?
(or does the graphic card take some of the heat away [the Radeon 5670HD 512mb])

More about : cpu 72c

a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2010 11:27:33 AM

Probably your CPU's heat sink came loose. To verify that, open the side of your PC, run a program that constantly showing the CPU's temperature and gently press on the heat sink (don't touch it with your bare fingers, use an insulator). If you'll see a significant drop in temperature that is your problem.
The HD5670 512MB is OK for your CPU.
July 5, 2010 11:51:05 AM

wats a insulator?
and lets say i get the radeon 5670 512mb graphic card,
and when i play crysis for instance...
the cpu wont like go up to 85c?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2010 11:57:00 AM

He means not to touch it directly and use the handle of a screwdriver for example.

Because if you touch it directly and it is 70+ degrees, then it may burn you.

Also it definately sounds like a heatsink issue, who built this PC and how long ago?
Have you had a look in the case? Is there lots of dust in there clogging the fans?
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2010 11:57:58 AM

In addition you'll need a PSU upgrade with that graphics card.
July 5, 2010 12:10:24 PM

1. wats a heatsink?
2. wats PSU?
3. i bought this comp 3 years ago
4. i cleaned the dust in my comp, before i cleaned it the degrees got up to 80
5. why do i need a better PSU for the grahic card
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2010 12:21:15 PM

1. The heatsink is the piece of metal sat atop your processor, the one with the fan on the top of it. Its purpose is to cool the CPU down.
2.The PSU or Power Supply Unit supplies the whole system with power.
3. OK
4. Ok then, check the heatsink as above.
5. You'll need a PSU upgrade as the new graphics card will take more power than is available from your current unit.

Also I would consider upgrading your CPU if you can, as the E2160 will be a real bottleneck with a decent card. Depending on how your funds permit and what your motherboard supports, go for something like a Core 2 Duo E6700 etc.
July 5, 2010 12:30:06 PM

oh so w8, i gotta take out the fan to get to the heat sink? :o 
the card needs 400w, i got 350w
but ive been told that even with 350w, the card will be ok
look i got a 80$ budget, and i decided to get the radeon 5670 card...
do u suggest i get something else with the 80$?
and dont tell me to save up money for something better...
i got 80$ thats it, i can get a graphic card for 50$ and a cpu for 30$, etc.
what do u suggest?
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2010 12:32:07 PM

devilite said:
1. wats a heatsink?
2. wats PSU?
3. i bought this comp 3 years ago
4. i cleaned the dust in my comp, before i cleaned it the degrees got up to 80
5. why do i need a better PSU for the grahic card

1) A heatsink is s piece of metal with a lot of fins and a fan which is mounted on the processor of the PC in order to cool it. An example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_sink

2) PSU is Power Supply Unit. If gives the power to all the PC's components. It is usually mounted on the top end of the PC and the electric cable that comes out of the wall outlet is connected to it. There should be a table on it which indicated all the voltages and currents. You need to remove the side of the PC in order to see it. The 5670 requires 25A on the 12V rails.
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2010 12:44:25 PM

devilite said:
oh so w8, i gotta take out the fan to get to the heat sink? :o 
the card needs 400w, i got 350w
but ive been told that even with 350w, the card will be ok
look i got a 80$ budget, and i decided to get the radeon 5670 card...
do u suggest i get something else with the 80$?
and dont tell me to save up money for something better...
i got 80$ thats it, i can get a graphic card for 50$ and a cpu for 30$, etc.
what do u suggest?

I would definately recommend upgrading your PSU, the minimum as you say is 400w and thats 400w on a decent PSU. Using a 350w may cause instability or even damage to your PC!

Also if I were you I'd save up abit more and upgrade properly. With a CPU, Graphics card and a decent PSU.

Finally, is the computer a branded one? Like a Gateway or a Dell etc?
July 5, 2010 12:49:16 PM

ill just get the geforce 220gt 1024mb, instead of the radeon.
it requires only 300w...
with my pc wat do u suggest?
the radeon 5670hd 512mb, or the geforce 220gt 1024mb
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2010 12:51:14 PM

The GT220 is quite a poor graphics card to be honest, its just one step up from modern intergrated graphics.

I myself have a Gt240, and I find that to be ok. It depends what your doing with it?
July 5, 2010 1:01:52 PM

fine then, i guess i can scratch some more money to get a 240gt...
it also needs a minimum of 300w.
i know i wont be able to play everything at like max settings....
but it should handle everything at minimum settings, no?

so is the 240gt the best card my pc can handle?
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2010 1:12:13 PM

Do you know what motherboard is in your PC?
July 5, 2010 1:17:27 PM

FOXCONN N15235
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2010 4:07:23 PM

I can't find that motherboard anywhere, is this in a branded PC??
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2010 7:14:05 PM

"The 5670 requires 25A on the 12V rails." -first of all that is not true. I have a 5770 on a 14 and 15 amp power supply(2 rails). I connected only one rail to it.

Please post here a picture with the details that are written on the side of your power supply.

The motherboard will support the 5670 if i am right . You might want to check that.

Also with the problem with your CPu overheating, please go to a PC store and ask them to replace your thermal paste and check your cooler. Do not do this yourself. It would be best if you buy some arctic silver 5 also(thermal paste), the small syringe would do, no need to pay more for something you won't use. If you have a friend that has done this before then ask him to do it.

Also if the power supply does not handle that card you might want to buy a cheaper card and so you will be able to afford to change the CPU paste also.

By the way "Consumes less than 75 Watts under full load, eliminating the need for an external power" here is the link to it's power requirements: http://www.amd.com/UK/PRODUCTS/DESKTOP/GRAPHICS/ATI-RAD...
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2010 7:17:16 PM

Right, so you're limited to 800Mhz FSB CPUs with that board. You could try going up to a E4000 Core 2 Duo, it maybe an upgrade but it'll still be 'slow'. So not worth bothering.

If I were you I'd save my money and upgrade properly, am sure someone will be along recommending budget parts, I only recommend Intel myself and alot of people don't think their budget stuff is worth it.

For the moment, have a look at getting a used 9600GT if you want better graphics, not exactly bleeding edge but it should be better than your intergrated graphics. Infact anything would be better.
July 5, 2010 7:34:48 PM

uhmm why cant i take the radeon 5670?
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2010 8:00:43 PM

Nobody said you can't. Please post that picture i asked. Also are you going to buy it online or from a store?

July 5, 2010 8:07:03 PM

im buying from a store...
and i cant rlly take a picture of it.
why, wat do u need?
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2010 9:01:54 PM

If you are buying from a store ask the one that is selling it to you to try it out to make shore that it works on your PC. I do not know it he will make you pay extra for this stuff. Load a game and see if it works with no problem, also before the game, install the latest drivers if you/ he can. Be polite to them and they might help you even if it is not their job.

Also you can ask him to check your CPU and apply thermal paste on it, but first buy a arctic silver 5 thermal paste (the small syringe) and give it to the worker to use it.
They might have it at the store.

If the video card does not work, do not buy it.

A link to the PSU might help. I want to see what it can do.
July 5, 2010 9:26:53 PM

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=29739
so u want me to install a game before i go there, and bring my pc to the store? o.o
and btw i vacummed the inside of my pc, took apart some stuff, and the temp doesnt go over 52 while surfing the web :D 
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
July 6, 2010 8:21:04 AM

ionut19 said:
"The 5670 requires 25A on the 12V rails." -first of all that is not true. I have a 5770 on a 14 and 15 amp power supply(2 rails). I connected only one rail to it.

Please post here a picture with the details that are written on the side of your power supply.

The motherboard will support the 5670 if i am right . You might want to check that.

Also with the problem with your CPu overheating, please go to a PC store and ask them to replace your thermal paste and check your cooler. Do not do this yourself. It would be best if you buy some arctic silver 5 also(thermal paste), the small syringe would do, no need to pay more for something you won't use. If you have a friend that has done this before then ask him to do it.

Also if the power supply does not handle that card you might want to buy a cheaper card and so you will be able to afford to change the CPU paste also.

By the way "Consumes less than 75 Watts under full load, eliminating the need for an external power" here is the link to it's power requirements: http://www.amd.com/UK/PRODUCTS/DESKTOP/GRAPHICS/ATI-RAD...

Look here for GPU's power requirements:
http://www.google.co.il/imgres?imgurl=http://i219.photo...
July 6, 2010 9:09:42 AM

so should i get the 5670 or itll cause problems?
on the sticker on the PSU theres this
+12v and under it it sais
17.5A
20A - Peak output

o.O
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
July 6, 2010 9:56:24 AM

17.5A is not enough. Get a new PSU with 25A on the 12V rails if you are going to buy the 5670 (The 25A is not just for the card, it is for your whole PC). If you are going to upgrade the CPU as well you will need a PSU with 30A on the 12V rails. ionut19 wrote that he is using a 5770 but his PSU can handle a total of 29A on the 12V rails.
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 11:09:42 AM

Sounds like a cheap PSU too with that low an ampage. Get something like an OCZ or Corsair 450-500w.

And when you upgrade more you'll be able to move the PSU across too.
a b U Graphics card
July 6, 2010 12:56:29 PM

Yes, my PSU can handle 29amps on the 12V rails.

That is why i asked him to go with the PC to the store and see if the PSU can handle the card.

I do not know how accurate the requirements from that link because i can use my PSU with my CPU overclocked and my video card overclocked at max with less.

To be safe buy the power supply and rise a few more money and after that buy the video card. It would be a lot safer that way.

It is your choice in the end. The problem with the CPU is simple, you need to check and see if the heat sink is not lose and change the paste.

If you want to try to do it yourself here is how it's done:

1:heat sink removal and CPU removal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PyU00K1sKw&feature=rela...

2: Cleaning the CPU and the heat sink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg4t2kkXrkM -here if you do not use that type of alcohol i recommend you buy arcticlean kit witch is made of 2 small bottles, number 1 to remove the paste and number 2 to eliminate any impurities that remained on the contact surface.(here you can see them: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arcticlean.htm)

3:actually here is a video with all of them included. First is an AMD CPu and after that an Intel CPU. watch from start to finish because he explains how to clean the heat sink and the CPU also.

After you have installed the CPU back in it's socket (the right way, you can't miss it) i would recommend using a drop of thermal compound not a line on the CPU because i forgot how the cores are in a dual core CPU and might be more efficient that way.

Watch all videos before doing this. You do not need to remove the motherboard from your PC to do this, just pay attention to what you are doing so that you will not brake anything inside:) .

edit:
Remember to turn the power supply off and unplug the PC. When removing the heat sink if you use a screwdriver, DO NOT HIT THE MOTHERBOARD WITH IT! :) 
July 6, 2010 1:49:57 PM

fine then i wont buy the 5670
whats the best card i can go for that my pc can handle?
the 240gt?
July 6, 2010 5:04:47 PM

bump o.o
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 5:08:29 PM

The GT240 is a good mid-range card with low power requirements. It works for me on older games at full res and newer games at mid/low res.

July 6, 2010 5:34:58 PM

devilite said:
the 240gt?

Hi
First to solve the heat issue. take out your heatsink fan (the thing sitting above your processor chip) and take a blower. look at the fan to see if it is broken or not or have a crack. use the blower on it and look at the heatsink fan and see if all the dust is out. then clean the white coloured paste that u can see on the processor chip and also on the heatsink fan. once clean, buy and apply new paste on it, for the paste look below. and then reapply the heatsink fan on the processor chip and try not to take out the heatsink once applied. because if u do that then there will be airbags made in the thermal paste, which u applied. this will not let the thermal paste to work efficiently. doing this will fix the heating issues.

thermal paste is a paste that is used to cover the gaps between the heatsink fan and the processor chip. u have to apply a drop/ball of paste on the centre of the processor chip. not bigger than 7mm. and then apply the heatsink fan. the thermal paste will spread by itself. thermal paste can be bought from any computer shop or online. good thermal pastes include IC Diamond, arctic ceramic.

as for the vga card, get a ati radeon 5450 and use the remaining money to get a good second hand power supply from ebay. try to get a corsair cx400 which can run 5670 as well and will not cost more. hope i helped
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
July 6, 2010 5:45:26 PM

devilite said:
the 240gt?

If you want to play Crysis, you will need to upgrade the PSU. You can use a 5570 with your current PSU, but it is not good enough for games.
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 9:15:07 PM

5570 will be poor its rated as 'entry-level', hardly worth getting IMO.
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 9:17:41 PM

lordszone said:

as for the vga card, get a ati radeon 5450 and use the remaining money to get a good second hand power supply from ebay. try to get a corsair cx400 which can run 5670 as well and will not cost more. hope i helped

What?!?!? 5450s are really poor! May aswell spend even less on a 4350 if you recommend a 5450!
July 6, 2010 10:09:26 PM

icraig said:
What?!?!? 5450s are really poor! May aswell spend even less on a 4350 if you recommend a 5450!

Hi
Bro the op's budget is only $80 and he also need a good psu in order to run the so called good cards. I know that 5450 is a very weak card but will support all the latest technology and is definitely faster that 4350
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 10:13:12 PM

I'd beg to differ, I'd say there both on par and as bad as each other!
July 6, 2010 10:16:24 PM

icraig said:
I'd beg to differ, I'd say there both on par and as bad as each other!

hi
bro what do u recommend in $80 for gpu and psu?
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2010 10:22:57 PM

I recommend the OP saves more and gets better parts.

I've been there and done that where you scrimp on bits. Within a few weeks or months when he has more money he'll go out and buy the best he can afford then and do the same after that.

Going by UK prices he'll need atleast £100 ($150) to get something half decent with a decent PSU. Say a GT240 with an OCZ 450w PSU.
!