Sign in with
Your question

GTX 275 SLI on 780i = no gains :-(

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 1, 2010 9:07:33 AM

Hello. Thanks for all the helpful posts on here which I have been reading for the past year or so.

I have a problem which I was hoping for some help with. Extensive googling has not yielded any help. The closest scenario to mine was posted on gamespot but the thread ended without any resolution.

Basically I have the following setup:

Nvidia 780i SLI mobo
QX9650 @ 3.6GHz
8GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8500
Sparkle GTX 275
Coolermaster 1KW PSU

Yesterday an identical Sparkle GTX 275 was delivered and with much anticipation I set-up SLI and ran 3DMark06. No gains at all over the single GTX 275 :-(

I then did everything you would think of: swapped the cards around; tested both separately; used a different sli bridge; moved the sli bridge to right hand connectors; used 2 sli bridges; uninstalled the forceware driver; downloaded the latest 197 driver.....

Nothing has made any difference.

It's quite annoying....

Any ideas?

More about : gtx 275 sli 780i gains

April 1, 2010 9:17:58 AM

ok try furmark for the test maybe 3Dmark06 is not doing well

run a few games and test their fps
make sure both the cards are fit in a bridge conn
April 1, 2010 9:20:10 AM

Thank you.

I ran a few tests in Bioshock 2 with FRAPS - no performance gain....

'a bridge conn'?
Related resources
April 1, 2010 9:26:32 AM

Also I should add that I have been running 2 x 8800 Ultras in SLI for ages with all the performance gains you would expect. This is so irritating. Tempted to just sell the 275s and buy a 295. Not sure if that will cope with running Crysis at 2650 x 1600 though :-(
a c 271 U Graphics card
April 1, 2010 9:50:57 AM

king game said:
ok try furmark for the test maybe 3Dmark06 is not doing well

run a few games and test their fps
make sure both the cards are fit in a bridge conn

Furmark will only heat the cards up but will not show if SLi giving any performance gains.

@OP, I assuming that you have the SLi indicators enabled? And try Vantage or a game known to like dual cards like COD4 or something similar.
April 1, 2010 9:53:28 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Furmark will only heat the cards up but will not show if SLi giving any performance gains.

@OP, I assuming that you have the SLi indicators enabled? And try Vantage or a game known to like dual cards like COD4 or something similar.

Thanks mousemonkey, but nothing shows any performance gains. My own hypothesis is it might be a bios problem......
April 1, 2010 2:39:27 PM

When you install the drivers, does the driver recognize both cards and black out the screen once than under the nvidia configuration screen does it show that both cards are recognized and the option to turn SLI on or off? Just installing the driver does not automatically enable SLI even if both cards are recognized but the first thing is to determine that both cards are seen.

You can move on from there.
a c 106 U Graphics card
April 1, 2010 2:59:41 PM

Does GPU-Z show that SLI is on?
April 1, 2010 3:11:22 PM

Thanks - I'll check this out.

Although....... i just ordered a Sapphire 5970 OC :D 
!