Sign in with
Your question

PSU Molex connectors

Last response: in Components
July 5, 2010 11:55:14 AM

Hi

Really having issues with molex connectors. Been changing a few parts recently and the 4 pin connectors never like to link clean. Instead have to force it, risking damaging the wire connection at the back where it enters the molex. They get bent etc and only so much cables can take this before the individual threads begin to snap.

What can I do to make these easier to connect. How would I replace them

The PSU i have is very specific (not a great one and would like to upgrade buts its mini itx and cant find one!)

Any ideas for mini itx PSU (more than 160w) or for molex replacement? (tips on making connecting easier)

http://www.overclock.co.uk/product/InWin-BM639-Black-Mi...

This is the case used, comes with 160w already but not sure on dimensions

More about : psu molex connectors

July 5, 2010 12:05:11 PM

Molex connectors tend to be a pain to align the pins quite often; that's just due to their design. As for replacement, you can probably buy bulk bags of connectors/pins on ebay. You just need to crimp new pins on the wires, and insert them into the new connectors.
July 5, 2010 12:09:01 PM

its just a pain as the PSU is not modular so cant put new cable on. gives me the option to maybe replace/crimp once before i start to run out of cable. normally wouldnt care but I cant find a replacement psu anywhere. it is approx 3 inch x 3 inch x 8 inch. this is approximate. is threre a standard size PSU that matches this, or sound like a custom one? (which I doubt as inwin case was only £40 with PSU)
Related resources
July 5, 2010 12:12:41 PM

in fact u suspect it may be a 1u power supply...would this make sense?
a c 144 ) Power supply
July 7, 2010 2:54:12 PM

It's not a 1U power supply. If it were, it'd be less than 1.75" high. Might be a 2U unit though.
!