P6X58D Premium Optical Audio

neiltarasaria

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Hi, I have the Asus P6X58D Premium motherboard which comes with an optical audio jack. I want to route the audio from my AppleTV using an optical audio cable to my motherboard's onboard optical audio jack and into my computer and output them using my computer speakers which are also plugged into the motherboard.

I don't own TV speakers so there a way to do this..pretty much use my computer as a receiver?

I've tried searching on google but had no luck.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The Coaxial/Optical S/PDIF port is an "output" port only. That being the case, you can't connect your AppleTV into that port. You could connect both the PC and AppleTV box into an A/V tuner and then the A/V Tuner to a surround sound system, for example.

Good luck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Looking at the specs (http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html), I don't see a workable solution without connecting directly to an HDTV or an A/V Tuner. You only have HDMI and the optical audio port (both are output devices). You really can't use your PC as the receiver, as you originally intended.

Here is a site that has some devices that might be able to do what you want, but for the cost, you might be better off with an HDMI capable monitor or HDTV.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

Good luck!

neiltarasaria

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I went and bought a DVD player with surround sound from walmart...I only have one HDMi cable so I output the optical audio cable to the dvd/audio receiver and the HDMI cable to the TV...but I couldn't get it working...I read somewhere that the appleTV can simultaneously output audio and video to separate devices and so I looked for an option under appleTVs setting to enable optical audio or something and found nothing.

I hope this receiver wasn't a waste of money.

neiltarasaria

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Ah well that's what you get with a $98 DVD/AV receiver. Good news is I have my appleTV play out of the speakers now.

what I did was plug my apple TV to my TV via HDMI and ran my optical audio cable from my TV to my DVD/AV receiver and just set the settings on my receiver to 'optical'.

Thanks.